Recommend a good iCal and Address Book replacement?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by klaxamazoo, Aug 2, 2011.

1. klaxamazoo macrumors 6502

The new iCal and Address Book in Lion are too dumbed-down for me to use and don't fit with my work-flow anymore.

Can anyone suggest a good iCal and Address Book replacement?

I use my computer for work and need to be able to juggle 20+ calendars and address book groups.

It would be nice to have a calendar app that has the old 10.5 iCal style/layout with the left and right sidebars to select calendars and also edit events without them obscuring the actual calendar. Also, I need the little month calendar in the bottom.

For the Address Book I need to be able to see my groups, list of contacts and individual contacts at the same time. Why Apple decided that our quad-core computers can only handle displaying two columns of information at a time is beyond me.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. icanboogie macrumors regular

icanboogie

Daylite or SOHO, like suggested in the other thread....

3. scotty321, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011

scotty321 macrumors regular

BusyCal is the #1 best calendar for the Mac. BusyCal was a million times better than iCal, even before Apple completely destroyed iCal in Lion.

I don't know of any great Address Book replacements, but I hope that one comes out soon because the disaster known as Lion's Address Book is making me very angry at Apple right now.

4. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

Have you tried Outlook 2011? I have similar needs to those you describe, and it works well for me.

5. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I've been trying the 30 day free trial of Contactizer Pro and so far I am liking it.

The only drawback so far is that it does not sync well with iOS devices. It will sync with iCal, but those items will be in the iCal calendars that are now used for tasks, not CalDev. The developer even suggests not using the application to sync with ical for appointments and tasks and use it as a standalone. I would prefer to use it with syncing, but for the trial I am not syncing.

Contactizer will sync CalDev, but all your iCal Caldev calendars will be synced as 1 calendar.

Other than that it is great. The contact features are great, no syncing required and you can even have it link all your emails, etc to the contacts.

I tried SOHO Organizer but it kept duplicating things randomly and had over 1,000 completed tasks all of sudden marked as not completed. Looked fantastic after installing it then after the third time I went into the program I all of a sudden had over 1,000 past due tasks, and in some cases 5 instances of the same appointment. On some of my contacts it had duplicated their email addresses several times as well. AND it is advertised as Lion compatible. So I don't know what is going on. Luckily iCal was not affected, but OmniFocus, which syncs my tasks was affected.

6. CoachSteff macrumors newbie

CoachSteff

Thanks Scotty

Just downloaded it and started to use it right away! It totally made my calendars usable again. Thanks!

7. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

BusyCal is a great calendar. I finally ended up buying that one and am now using that one all the time. It is what iCal should have been.

8. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Same here.

9. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Try Bento for Mac. It seems ok. I have not tried it. I am using BusyCal as well and love it, love it, love it. I wish there were a better contact manager. I might try to use Outlook just for contacts but it seems like overkill.

10. LxHunter macrumors 6502

11. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

I've posted this on some other thread, but I really would like to increase the chance of someone responding with something useful.

Does anyone have some suggestion of GOOD Apps to replace iCal (events and ToDos) and Address Book (contacts) for Snow Leopard?

I can't upgrade to Lion because a couple Apps that do not work well in it, but I really need to get contacts, events and todo syncing with iCloud again. I know about BusyCal, and may get it for events and to-Dos. But what about Contacts.

Thanks.

12. seedidea macrumors newbie

Another happy BusyCal user here. Still wishing for address book replacement.

I thought Lion was necessary to use iCloud - right or wrong?

13. fkjr2 macrumors member

I am afraid to say this because there seems to be a lot of busy cal followers but $50 seems quite high for what it offers.

Doesn't even sync with any tasks services online.
    Not much for options either in preferences - no way to increase font or personalize much