Recommend a good keyboard skin

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Woodcrest64, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

I just bought the Moshi Keyboard skin but because the skin is also made for the regular macbooks it has a wider lip that over hangs the indent around the keyboard. It doesn't fit as nicely as it does on my wife's 17 macbook pro.

I'm just wondering if there is one out there with a smaller lip around the edge so it fits tighter than the keyboard skin from Moshi.

2. stevelam macrumors 65816

i would most definitely not put a keyboard skin on the rmbp. not only does apple not recommend it, but the amount of heat that needs to escape through the keyboard is insane.

3. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

If this was true then there would be plenty of overheating threads from people. This topic has been discussed numerous time and it has been proven that a keyboard cover does nothing to prevent the macbook pro from properly cooling itself.

4. lermal macrumors regular

lermal

5. loneranger76 macrumors newbie

u can never go wrong with moshi. apple endorses their products as well.

6. stevelam macrumors 65816

oh really? please show me this proof that its completely safe to put on the RMBP.

the RMBP is the ONLY macbook i've ever used that actually gets too hot to type on if you're running something intensive. this has never happened with any previous macbook i've owned.

7. DOUGHNUT macrumors regular

I second this. Its almost like moshi, but it is much cheaper and fits the keyboard like a glove and just as thin.

Bought one for my rMBP and very happy with it. If you're getting a keyboard cover, don't get a silicone based cover. They are much thicker, feels mushier and gets greasy much easier than TPU covers.

8. BC-2 macrumors member

BC-2

9. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

How is the condition of the keyboard skin holding up for you? I was thinking of picking up that one as well. The one's I've use gets really cloudly looking after usage and not like when it was new initially.

10. Woodcrest64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

I ordered the topcase one a few days ago. I got the Moshi one but its okay...
    I find it overhangs the indent groove around the keyboard which causes the cover to not sit flush against the keys. This can cause the cover to ride up with your finger as you type. It doesn't happen all the time but it is annoying.

I will let you know what I think of the other one.

11. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Wonderful, I can't wait. I have a clear silicon one and it gets cloudly and puts prints on the LCD. I've tried a black printed silicon one with the key printed and that looks nicer, no cloud but it covers the backlit and imprint on the screen. All is left to try are the TPU material.

12. xAgustinx macrumors regular

xAgustinx

I bought a black printed silicon with the key printed, but I don't recommend it if you want to use the backlit.

13. BC-2 macrumors member

BC-2

It's holding up perfectly so far with no signs of wear at all. My only complaint is that it could be more clear but it's not a huge deal. I like that it does not touch the display when closed (no residue on the screen) and it fits perfectly and does not accidentally get pushed off the keyboard very easily. The keyboard back lighting is reduced a little but also not a big deal to me. I highly recommend it (especially for $5 dollars).

14. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

If you plan on typing much you need to try them yourself.

15. BC-2 macrumors member

BC-2

My Top Case sits in the keyboard indent so it sits flush with the keys. I also have not had any issues with the cover riding up on my fingers either. I think you'll like it more than the Moshi.

16. JTyler82 macrumors regular

17. Woodcrest64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

So I just got it today and I can honestly say its a lot better than the moshi one in my opinion. The topcase fits in the grove around the edge of the keyboard where the moshi one does not. Typing is a lot smoother and doesn't feel as gummy like it did with the moshi cover when you press down on the keys.

My only gripe with it and I'm being picky on this, is the texture makes the keys a little more hazy looking compared to the moshi one.

Overall though I'm happy with it!

18. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Thanks for your input. I will check out the top case.

19. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

+1
    all my 4 macs have Moshi's keyboard protectors.

20. GGJstudios, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Heat radiates in all directions and dissipates through the aluminum body. While clamshell mode or using a keyboard covering slightly inhibits dissipation, it's not enough to cause problems or raise temps more than a few degrees, since the primary cooling is through the vents.

There has never been any air intake or exhaust vents through the keyboard on any Mac notebook. For all Mac notebooks except the MBP-Retina, both intake and exhaust has always been through the vents in the rear near the hinge. The new MBP-Retina has intake vents along the sides at the bottom and exhaust through the rear vents, near the hinge.
    Learn about the fans in your Mac
    This arrangement allows for venting with the lid open or closed (for operating in clamshell mode). There is a solid panel under the keyboard, preventing any meaningful airflow.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

21. Engali macrumors member

Another vote for Top Case's TPU keyboard skin. It's uber thin and stays in p,ace well...comes with a cheapy mousepad that was a nice gesture.