Recommend a GOOD Network or Wireless Printer?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mdelaney123, Dec 21, 2007.

1. mdelaney123 macrumors regular

I have a Canon MP600 that I liked, but it is hooked to a Windows box and I cannot get the driver to show up in the list of printers. (I just downloaded the latest 10.5 driver from Canon's site.)

So, i am willing to sell it and get another Photo/Multifunction printer.

I see the Canon MX700 is Networked, and I see there is an HP Multifunction that is both Networked and Wireless.

Anyone have any experience with these, or can you recommend another good one for printing photos and scanning. (Either over a network or Wireless.)

2. IChing macrumors regular

See if this works

First, make sure you install the Canon driver that came with Leopard. Then, turn off your printer and unplug its USB cable from your mac.

Go to System Preferences -> Print & Fax. Click the minus button to remove the MP600 from the list.

Then, plug the printer's USB cable back in and turn the printer on. Your computer will automatically recognize it and add it back to the printer list

3. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Before you waste any money -
    Network printing/Windows printing only works with a driver that was meant for network printing. To use the OS X built-in CUPS network choices, you need a CUPS driver. For postscript printers, this is not an issue, because postscript is the native output of OS X, and can easily be routed to the various choices in Printer Setup.
    Non-postscript printers are Very Different. Except for Brother, no manufacturer has provided CUPS drivers. Instead, what you get are Carbon-type, OS9 legacy drivers, that have the comm protocol written into the driver (mostly USB). They can only print via local connection.**

OK - short version - your Canon driver was written to only use USB direct! If you want a printer that works via network, get one that has ethernet or wireless built-in. They provide network-capable drivers for those. I've heard good reviews of the Canon models with built-in networking.

And I'd try a "similar model" like MP500 or MP7xx Gutenprint driver with your current printer - will probably work.

**An Exception - when printing via an Airport/Bonjour enabled print server (Airport Express/Extreme), where the software does a port redirection, USB output from the Mac gets routed to the USB port on Airport Express/Extreme. In other words, a USB-only driver will work for network printing through Airport Extreme/Express.

4. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I wish I could convince Kodak of that. Kodak 5100 won't do it.

5. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

I hear you... I was describing HOW it works - but there are lots of printers that don't work with Airport Extreme/Express. Have you tried downgrading to an older version of firmware?

6. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

There is no older version - the printer is a new product (six months). Wish I could, though.

7. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Sorry - I meant older firmware for Airport Extreme/Express.

8. el2008 macrumors newbie

Canon MP600 with Airport Express

I have a Canon MP600 that I used to have connected to my Mac via a USB cable. I just hooked it up to an Airport Express. The print function works just fine, but I can't get the memory card reader to show up as a device on my computer like it used to. I reset the printer to "Read/Write," but still nothing. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to reset something on the printer, the computer, or both? Or, will it simply not work on a network? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

9. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Only printing will work via the USB port on Airport Express. (Read 2nd paragraph):
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107418

10. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I have an HP 25xx series all-in-one network printer/scanner which works beautifully with Leopard, Tiger and Windows. Highly recommended if you can't get the Canon to behave....

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you can do with only Black and white, Brother makes networked laser printer that has very low cost per print.

12. USMCmac30 macrumors newbie

I have a Brother MFC 400 CN with an Airport Express Base Station. The base station plugs directly into the wall with the Net and printer plugging into that. Works wonders This brother printer does it all (even pics) with a lcd screen.

13. el2008 macrumors newbie

Thank you!

Thanks for all of your advice and suggestions!!