Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Hey all,
My mum and I are thinking of buying a stereo or sound system for my dad for christmas.
Budget: around AU$500 ... about US$400

This 'stereo' doesn't strictly need to have any features....maybe just a set of speakers. We have an existing amp, though old, would appreciate new speakers.

Thanks for all the help :)

surripere

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2007
Los Angeles
Hey all,
My mum and I are thinking of buying a stereo or sound system for my dad for christmas.
Budget: around AU$500 ... about US$400

This 'stereo' doesn't strictly need to have any features....maybe just a set of speakers. We have an existing amp, though old, would appreciate new speakers.

Thanks for all the help :)

I can recommend the Audioengine A5 without any reservation if your dad will be using an ipod (via line-out on the dock or line-out cable) or computer as a source. They have an integrated amp (which is great quality) and are basically audiophile-grade studio monitors tweaked to function along the lines of the hi-fi from apple (with the exception that the A5s actually can qualify as hi-fi). I can almost guarantee you that for around US $400 you will not get better sound quality.

Of course, being powered, they might not be what you're currently looking for.

But I can say that I received them for a gift and have been quite happy. These things are built with a ton of care, and the guys who build them are pretty serious audiophiles.

bluesjam

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2007
Check out the link below. It is a polk and the price is within your range. I have tried it at a store, sound quality is damn good and the frequencies don't distort much even at very high volume. I tried playing blues, rock n roll and jazz and sound reproduction was very accurate.

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Pe...2?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1198284679&sr=1-2

Also you can check out the one that I bought it and it too is a polk. It might be beyond your budget but there is no harm in trying.

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Bo...6?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1198285726&sr=1-6

midorix

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2007
Lucky Dad.....

however, you're going to get multitude of answers to your question since there are no really right answer and the taste of stereo/sound system varies by person, source, the surrounding environment. You may want to narrow your search by:

1. Stereo for music or does your Dad would like surround sound for movies/tvs?
2. Where will would be placed (how much room will it have=satellite/sub setup or in wall/ceiling or stand alone speakers)
3. Does your budget include cabling, wires and connectors?

For $400 with speakers, you'll be looking at those boxed sets. I had good luck with Onkyo's and I believe one of the Consumer Reports/AVS forum rated pretty high on the Onkyo set. Like this: http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theate...800-silver/4505-6740_7-32421749.html?tag=also That's one way to go.

My recommendation is when budget is limited to pick a component that can be used and start building gradually. You said you had amp (assuming you can connect to t his amp somehow). Do you have speakers that may be used? Then you may want to get him a decent Receiver for now and connect your old speakers to it. Again, I'm impartial to Onkyo but I've also heard goo things about Denon.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.