Recommend a good webhost for small sites, but with PHP and MySQL support

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by kernkraft, Apr 27, 2010.

1. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

The title says everything. I need a webhost for a small portfolio - a couple of small firms, a couple of private sites, most of them are basic, few pages long. I have around a hundred domains, most of them are parking and waiting to be sold or are under development, so they would be pointing to the new server/webhost.

Because of a couple of basic webstores and Contact Us/Register pages, PHP and MySQL support is essential.

Any suggestions? I'm not ready to start my own server yet, as 1.) I am not a professional, it's only a hobby/second career for me, 2.) where I live in the UK, in rural Hampshire, we get a pathetically low bandwidth - it's around 0.7 Mbps. Also, I think that at least, for now, paying a basic/small business plan would be much more cost-efficient.

Thanks!

2. VeganWizard macrumors newbie

I use WebHostingPad for about half of a dozen sites. It's cheap and works fine for me.

I've also used Bluehost in the past. It was really good, too. I only moved to WebHostingPad because it was significantly less expensive.

Hope that helps.

3. MarketingGuy macrumors member

I tend to use RackSpace for a lot of my clients, who have large enterprise level websites. For smaller websites, including my own, I use Aplus.Net. I have also had a positive experience with DreamHost.com.

4. Hmac macrumors 68020

iPowerWeb. Been using them for several sites for years. Good customer service, very cost-effective.

http://www.ipowerweb.com/

5. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

bluehost here. been using them for the past three years, and they've been pretty good, though i'm sure there are companies out there that offer same stuff for better prices (a year is about $105 after the first year contract runs out).

6. aerta macrumors newbie

web hosting

I also live in UK, and can't recommend these guys enough:

poldings.co.uk

I've been using them exclusively for years.

John

7. kernkraft thread starter macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Thank you!

Thanks for all your replies! I will check every single one of them, that was a great help!

8. angorn macrumors newbie

9. 7031 macrumors 6502

Never used them, but my friend uses them for his blog and definitely seems to recommend them haha. I'd use them, but their idea of paying for what you use however, would probably cost me a lot since I have a tendency to make demanding websites. Hell, recently I had a site up that was using about 5GB of bandwidth per day, so of course I wouldn't want to host it on there :p.

10. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I recommend A Small Orange. I've been with them for over a year now. They have great support, and I haven't experienced any downtime. They have plan ranging form $25 a year up to $30 a month. I personally use their "small plan" 750mb of space, 15 gb of bandwidth. That plan costs $5 a month. They do give a discount if you buy a year at a time though.

A Small Orange

Don

11. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

Throwing one more into the mix, I've been very pleased with HawkHost. Good prices, well-equipped service, highly reliable, very responsive support, and quite well regarded on WebHostingTalk (excellent source of information and reviews, BTW), where I first found out about them.

12. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I use Tsohost cluster platform. It being based in the UK means I get pretty good speeds. Plus it has some pretty neat features (PHP, Ruby on Rails, ASP.NET, MySQL etc etc).

13. HostColor macrumors newbie

I would suggest you to send requests to a few web hosting providers and to compare their responses. You obviously need to work with a hosting provider that will pay attention on your account.

14. 7031 macrumors 6502

I agree with that fully. When I chose my first web host I actually based it almost solely on the quality of their support, not because I though that I would need it, but just because it really is an indication to me of how seriously they are willing to take business, since a lack of support will generally indicate that it's probably not a very reliable service either.