Recommend a hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by AnthonyG, May 9, 2008.

1. AnthonyG macrumors newbie

I got my mac pro a couple weeks ago and am very happy. I am going to purchase some RAM from newegg and I want to get a couple hard drives to raid0 and store all my HD videos. Can anyone recommend a hard drive. I've looked into the 7200.11's but there seems to have been firmware issues and jumper problems... I would get 750gb or 1tb

2. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Hard Drive: WD AAKS 750 GB
    Price @ Newegg: $129.99 w/ free shipping
    link at newegg

RAM: Transcend 2 GB 800 MHZ FB-Dimm
    Price @ Newegg: $82.99 + $5.99 Shipping
    link at newegg

I can vouch for both items. I've bought two of the hard drives, the first one arrived nearly two months ago and the other 2 days ago. They're speedy, have excellent reviews and great price per Gig.

The ram is ram and works fine. I've had it in for two days and haven't had a problem.

The stock 320 drive in the Mac pro drive sucks, so I have one drive for the OS and my home folder, and the other is a scratch disk. It works.

Be wary of Raid 0 though, they don't call it a suicide raid for nothing.

3. AnthonyG thread starter macrumors newbie

4. asencif macrumors 6502

It look like there has been more reports of failures on the 750GB version. Also, the 640GB one uses two 320GB platters and is said to be screaming fast according to many reports and tests like from Barefeats.

Being that the 640GB was $109.99 and faster, I think has it getting more praise. Now it's $114.99 at newegg.com, but at OWC it's still 109.99.

5. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Hi,

I'd choose Barracuda 7200.11 ST3750330AS.

sash

6. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

as asencif said, the WD 640 is a screaming fast HD, one of the best out there, i'm thinkng about getting 3 for the MP to replace 3 of my old 500gb HD's, from what ive read, everyone is very happy with them ;)

7. haneefa8 macrumors newbie

Thanks for your information

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I notice from my (only, I think I asked about this before as my other Pros are SAS) SATA'd Pro featured the 500Gb WD AAKS drive when delivered, which are the cheapest 500Gb drives you can get I think. I did however keep it WD for the replacement. I removed the drive, cloned it onto a 500Gb WD RE2 ABYS drive (which are still cheap but feature better warranty and better implied reliability) and then stuck in the same drives in the rest of the slots. The 750Gb equivalent would be the WD7500AYYS.

I run RAID0 on my gaming rigs and have had no problems. You only call it a suicide RAID if you're too dumb to keep backups.

9. AnthonyG thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm maybe I will get a few of the 640gb's.

Do you think I will see a noticeable speed difference if I replace the boot drive? With a raptor or just a better hard drive?

10. asme macrumors regular

Western Digital Caviar GreenPower series, I'd say.

They're not the fastest things in the world, but they are very high quality, they run cool, consume half the power of a standard drive, and actually have the cheapest 1TB drive around. It achieves all this by varying speed in a range from 5400rpm to 7200rpm. When it needs 7200, it goes 7200, but when it doesn't need as much, it spins slower, letting it cool down and use less power.

Newegg Link

11. OddThomas macrumors regular

OddThomas

Sammy drives..

i have read a lot of negative comments about the sammys not working. if you go to newegg and read the customer comments there are lots of negative ones there. but the guys who get them working say they are screaming fast. i believe the WD640 is in that same league though. the use high density platters like the sammy. just wish they would come out with a 960 3 platter drive.

12. cube macrumors G5

I don't know about that WD, but the Samsung also uses thicker platters than the other 1TB drives, to improve resistance against vibration.

I've had good luck with Samsung drives so far, but I haven't tried the F1 yet.

I looked at the newegg reviews and there are multiple entries by certain negative reviewers, although it doesn't look too good anyway.
    But there are some posts here in MR that say that the issues are really a problem with the utility in reality.

I see that there is a Samsung hard disk utility software only for Windows, so I think I'll stop buying drives from them.