Recommend a journal entry software program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sportdan31, Apr 19, 2007.

1. sportdan31 macrumors member

Does anyone have any ides what a good journal entry program would be? Should I just use a word processing program or is IWeb a better option? Bascially, I just want to chronicle the goings on in my life along with little anecdotes and firsts for my two kids.

Thanks!

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I use a word document. I just put in a page break and start the new entry. Works just fine for me. :)

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

4. sportdan31 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestion! This sounds like a wonderful program. I like that you can implement photos, video, and more. Is it possible to burn it to a dvd or cd after several months of entries?

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Well...I just started yesterday and haven't even thought of the backup options yet. It has a tons of export options, but no easy burn to CD figure that I have found yet. The other two options I was looking at also were iGTD, which is more task oriented and Scrivener, which is geared towards authors. There's also MacJournal.

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

It's not free like Journaler is, but Mori might be another one to consider.

7. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Hmmm... that'd be an easy program to program, I would think. Maybe I could make a Journal entry program with the ability to add items from your iPhoto, iTunes, etc. libraries.
    If I do decide to work on it, I'll let u know and ask you what features to incorporate (the DVD burning part, I'd probably pass on to someone else, I wouldn't know how to do that, like if you mean like a DVD you can put in a DVD player and run)

8. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...Journier is pretty nice for a freebie solution, MacJournal is quite feature-filled and good for those that want/need something more in-depth. If you are looking at posting to an online journal site like LiveJornal for instance then Phoenix is better than the built-in online editor at LJ....oh yeah!

9. aspro macrumors 6502

I'll recommend MacJournal, I have been using it for over a year now with no problems. A great application.

10. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

11. justG macrumors member

justG

Journler's support/evolution is phenomenal. Seriously incredible developer. And the app is so extensible that sometimes it seems to me like there's nothing that AppleScript can't do (I don't know the first thing about it, so it continues to amaze me). Anyway, in answer to your question, Journler's entries are simply rich text files, and its "database" is simply a normal folder. So if you already have a backup strategy in place, just add ~/Application Support/Journler to the list of folders you back up regularly, and you should be all set.

Hope that helps.