Recommend a mic for me....

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by NRose8989, Jul 11, 2008.

1. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

I've use a canon HF10 and it has the standard 3.5mm input jacks. what is a good microphone to get? I was thinking about getting the canon DM-100 because it can use the hot shoe but id hate to spend $160+ on a mic that doesn't perform as well as a cheaper alternative and i really hate the "dead cat" look of the wind guard(thingy?) if i did go with the DM-100, could i get a plan black foam wind guard? would it be as effective?

I wouldn't mind jmmy rigging a non-canon mic to fit in the accessory shoe and running a cable to the mic inputs. and i would also like it to be versatile and attach it to a boom when the situation permits. thanks a lot.

2. bshelly macrumors newbie

I use a sony ECM-MS908C that I picked up for $50 at the Sony Outlet store in Aurora, IL. These normally retail for at least twice as much $$$. It works very well with my Canon HV20's and attaches right to the existing shoe and plugs in to the mic jack on the camera. Sony includes an extension arm that lets me keep the mic about 3-4 inches off to the left side, right above the LCD screen that swings out on the left of the camera. The Sony Mic includes a foam windscreen and makes it look that much nicer. I had some folks asking about my gear because it looked "professional" with the mic LOL!

The difference between the built-in mic and the Sony Stereo Mic is very noticeable and it eliminates the camcorder motor noises. I shot fireworks the other night and with some attenuation set in the menu of the camcorder, it did a superb job.

If you get it, make sure you turn off the Wind noise reduction in the camcorder and if necessary, use the included foam windscreen. I was thinking about picking up another as a spare I like it so much.

3. NRose8989 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That sound pretty sweet but does the HV20 have the same "Mini accessory shoe" as the HF10/100 or HV30's?

4. bshelly macrumors newbie

After looking at Canon's site, apparently, the Mini Accessory Shoe is about half the size of the standard Accessory Shoe on the HV20.

Perhaps there is an adapter available to go from the mini size to the standard size shoe. Otherwise, you could possibly mount it to the tripod mount on the bottom somehow.

5. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

This mic http://tinyurl.com/5l5sbc has a battery so that you won't need to worry about a hot shoe issue. Also you can find on BH Photo a nice bracket for a light, mic or any thing else to be used from the tripod mount.
    -DH was kind to give me these links so I must pass them on ;)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=428679 This is the link to my thread about mic mounting bracket questions, enjoy.