Recommend a NAS?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ThemacNub, Jul 23, 2011.

1. ThemacNub macrumors regular

Just got a Macbook air and want to have 2TB of wireless storage for my media and a backup of my system. What sort of NAS should i get?

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I suggest a forum search here....this has been asked and answered many times already

3. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

Don't get one of the cheaper ReadyNAS devices from Netgear. The lower end ones don't work with Lion and they say on there site that it will take "some time" to fix the problem. My ReadyNAS is one of the ones that stopped working with Lion, I'm thinking of going with Time Capsule now.

4. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'd second the comment about the low-end ReadyNAS. I got a Duo a year or so ago and while it's been ok, the Lion issue has made me think again. That and the fact that I spent a couple if hours this weekend trying to get my Squeezecentre server running. A TC is looking far more inviting right now.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

However, Lion introduces some issues with older versions of AFP in netatalk on most NAS devices. So it is a specific new question.

I'd say wait until the dust settles a bit unless you can afford a Time Capsule or you don't care about Time Machine.

B

6. pixor macrumors member

I'd third that. I have an Iomega Home Media NAS and it won't work with Lion either.

7. ThemacNub thread starter macrumors regular

Im thinking of getting a Synology DS211J with two 2TB WD greens in RAID 1. Partitioned with 128gb for system backup with the rest for my iTunes Movies and TV shows. Will this setup run ok? And is there anyway I can use my ATV 2 without the MBA being on?

8. JCaetanophoto macrumors newbie

I have the Synology 211j and love it with both my MAC and PC

9. johnrtaylor macrumors newbie

Netgear are one of the few companies that have released firmware upgrades for there nas's. Both my readynas duo"s are running an updated f/w which allows time machine and afp shares to work correctly. So all netgear Nas's high end to low end now work correctly with lion. I am still waiting for Iomega to make there new firmware available!!

10. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Don't partition, just make a media share.

Not for your own local content. You need iTunes running somewhere on the network or Jailbreak.

11. ThemacNub thread starter macrumors regular

Why shouldnt i partition, also what would be the optimal to set up the NAS? thanks for the help and recomendations

12. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Not really a new question....OP says he just got a MBA...doesn't say it's got Lion installed on it...nor does he ask anything about Lion compatibility.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Have a qnap and I'm very happy with it. They also provided an update for Lion compatibility

14. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

+1 with the QNAP-satisfaction

Can easy share files with all my three Mac via GEthernet.

Still have to make the AFP upgrade.

15. FuriousD macrumors member

I have been looking into this, started a thread a little while ago.
    I think i have made my decision to go with a ReadyNas Ultra 2. Part of the reason being it is one of the fastest out there, hot swappable drives, works with MAC, Sonos, PS3 etc (all the things i need it for), can access data anywhere in the world if i need too, good power features.

Currently can be had for around £350 with 2 x 2TB discs included.

D

16. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

What QNAPs do you have?

I have been yoyoing between buying a NAS and not.

I have settled on either a QNAP or a Synology but there is something stopping me from comitting to buying one.

Do you use it as a central store for you media or a backup thereof.

I am hoping to centralise my iTunes, iPhoto and general documents to the NAS but not sure about performace. i.e. waiting around for the files to be read across the network etc.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have the TS-219P+

It provides two hot swappable bays, so I can have a RAID-1 setup that increases my data integrity.

For me the deciding factor was Qnap's interface and performance over Synology. I tested out the interfaces in both qnap and synology, I found qnap to be a better fit. Both have demo sites that you can get a feel of how it works.

Performance wise I read many reviews that give the edge to qnap, so I figured I'd take the plunge.

18. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I have a TS-459 Pro; with 4x1TB Hitachi Disks as RAID 5 (around 3 TB space for me). Connected to my iMac with GigaEthernet and no performance issues at all for the regular iTunes handling (download and watching movies or listen to music) and Xcode backup.

I don't share the iTunes library with the other Mac; never needed to. But I use the NAS to share developments and also raw files from my camera.

Working files from Xcode or Blender are still on the iMac-Disk (or SSD on MBA).

From time to time I connect to the eSata an external disk and make some backup from the NAS. I don't use TimeMachine anymore; don't really trust it after having two TC failing. I prefer to have the files readable single by single and not compressed in some container file.

As QNAP based has a LINUX base I can get always access to it (given the disks are still ok). As I still have one Ubuntu box I like that style more.

I don't regret

19. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

That was the one I was looking at, and have been for quite a long while. Deciding between that and the Synology DS211+. I am just a standard home user looking for a bit more data secuirty and sharing between my machines.

I suppose the question I have been meaning to ask is what is performace like over Wifi, as I have a macbook and would rather not connect it via an ethernet cable to the network and just have the files come to it over the air. I guess the most strenuios task would be loading an iPhoto library or possibly watching a movie. Has anyone used their QNAP over wifi like this? Is it actually usable?

Thanks for the advice. Although you will see from above my needs are well below yours but it is useful to know. :)

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not on wireless with my MBP but my mini is wireless and so far as I can tell performance is a quite bit slower.

Copying a 6gb dmg to my NAS from my Mini, I was averaging about 9 MiB/s which is quite a bit slower then my wired MBP which averages to about 45 MiB/s

21. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Do you use the Mini to stream files from the NAS?

I am looking to centralise my media and documents to the NAS so that they are available to all machines but also so that all machines can work on them.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Music yes, probably videos maybe in the future. My Mac mini is primarily my kids computer. I'm using the NAS right now for storage and backup for the mini.

I just upgraded twonky on qnap yesterday so I'll be redoing the streaming setup. I'll report back later today on how streaming video performs on the mini but I'm not quite ready yet.

Without the upgraded twonky, You can only do streaming from Qnap's Multimedia share that it created. I prefer a share called iTunes and with the newer version it appears I can update the configuration.

23. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Just ordered the 219P+.

Now need to look through the recommended drive list and work out what drives to get for the NAS.

I'll probably end up buying 3 drives in total so that one can act as a backup for the raid which I will keep offsite. That way I actually have a backup and also can tolerate 2 disk failures.

What drives do you have?