Recommend a non-iSight webcam to work with a Mac mini?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AVR2, Mar 6, 2008.

1. AVR2 macrumors 6502

My father-in-law has just switched to a Mac mini (at my suggestion) after years of fighting with Windows. He's got a 3-year-old Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 USB webcam which, according to Logitech, ought to work with no problems on a Mac, but isn't recognised unless you use the Macam drivers... and even then it only works with some apps and not others. Skype can use it, but iChat will only see it as a microphone, not a camera. Plus, it seems to be always-on, rather than only switching on when you start up an app that uses it.

I was thinking about getting him a new camera, and immediately thought of the iSight, until I discovered that the external one was discontinued back in 2006. I don't really want to get a second-hand iSight, so can anyone recommend a webcam that definitely works with Leopard?

I note that Apple sell the QuickCam Fusion through their stores, which ought to mean that it works with Macs, but the reviews on the online Apple Store suggest that there are issues with some Macs simply refusing to recognise it.

2. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

The cameras for use with the Xbox 360 work just fine on Mac's, I use one for video security.

3. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Logitech quickcam 9000 is superb! Really glad i've got it now!