Recommend a pair of speakers?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Doju, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

Which kind of speakers do you recommend? Around $80 please, I'll get a good pair for that much, right?

2. DYER macrumors 6502

if you want multimedia speakers then I think the Bose Companion II's are not too bad and you should get them for around $80

3. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

4. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

NOT BOSE. Try Altec Lansing or even JBL. Bose is over-hyped.

5. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

And over priced.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

For that price Logitech makes some good ones. Make sure you get a 2.1 set though or you'll be sorely missing the bass.

7. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

Perhaps a stupid question, but could someone explain, or at least give me the link to an explanation of what 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 etc. mean?

The higher the better?

8. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

This is basically it.
    2.1 : 2 speaker stereo plus 1 subwoofer
    5.1 : 5 speaker (2 front (left, right,), 1 center speaker, 2 surround plus 1 subwoofer
    7.1 : 7 speakers (1 center, 2 front (left,right), 2 side surrounds, 2 rear surrounds and 1 subwoofer.

Terminology may vary but thats essentially it.

9. philbeeney macrumors 6502

philbeeney

I bought these. I know they're a tad above your budget, but I've had no problems with them and they sound really good.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileAV40.html

I've just checked Amazon.com and they have them at a price of $133.76 with free shipping, which is excellent considering they retail at $199.

10. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

Okay, so the numbers essentially refer to the amount of speakers included? What would you recommend? 2 or 3 should suffice. (But damn, seven would be cool!)

11. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Yep, speakers are in the first set, subs are in the second. A 2.1 speaker system for the same price as a 7.1 or 5.1 will almost always be better, so think about that when you are buying. More does not necessarily mean better. If you buy two speaker and a subwoofer for $500 and buy a $500 home-theater-in-a-box, the two speaker and subwoofer will sound better 90% of the time for music at least. Another downside to large speaker systems is the difficulty in setting them up. Also, if you do choose to go larger than 2.1, make sure that it does not require a special sound card. (Some need you to have special outputs for 5.1 or 7.1, in which case you would have to get an external USB or Firewire sound card)

12. pcwolff macrumors newbie

Check out the Logitech Z-4 speakers (it's a 2.1 setup). I got them for Christmas and they work and sound great. Plus they look amazing next to my new macbook pro. You can get them for about $70 at a place like newegg

13. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

Wow, those look nice.

Question (warning it may be stupid):

1) Why's there three? What do you do with the big one? :p

2) How do I hook it up? :eek:

14. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

1) There's two speakers, which you would set on the side of your computer, and one subwoofer speaker, which preferably you should put on the floor or beneath your computer desk. The bigger is the sub, which produces the bass.

2) For the Z-4 (which I have at my dads, I currently use my Z-5500), it uses a general 3.5mm jack that you hook up to the headphones jack of your computer. Your sub will have 3 inputs: Remote, and L/R channel speakers. The two RCA cables and the remote cord goes into the sub, and you plug the sub into the wall, which will power everything.

15. SecondDealer macrumors regular

By far the best speakers I've found in the lower price ranges are the Logitech X-540s
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/234&cl=US,EN

For about USD 80 you can get virtual 5:1. Also the main speaker clips onto your screen easily. The cons are the plastic make but sound quality is really what's important here not looks and the fact that the speaker cone on the bottom of the bass speaker is unprotected.

Also if you need an external sound card check out the FireWave Surround Sound for Macs by Griffin

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Griffin Technology/4019FIRESS/

16. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

I have and absoutely love the Logitech Z-2300's. They sound amazing and the bass is great. They are a 2.1 setup (2 speakers + 1 subwoofer) and are dead simple to hook up (plug in the jack and you are good)

They are around $100 if you look in the right place (like Amazon), and I must say they are worth every extra penny. It is better to spend a little more and get something that sounds great and should last a long time, in my opinion.

Go into a store though and listen to a few of the display models. That will give you an idea as to the quality you are looking at for the different systems.

Good luck!

17. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

Think I'll go with these. Other opinions?