Recommend a Printer/Scanner/Copier

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mac In School, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Intel Mac w/ Leopard.

I'm looking for a multi-function machine that prints, scans and copies. Fax optional.

I looked into the C4280. I like the size of it. The reviews in the Apple store start out horrible, but seem to get better as people downloaded the newer drivers that are compatible with Leopard. I'm on the fence with this one. The $100 price tag is very tempting.

Fast, quiet and cheap are important to me.

Text print quality is important to me.

Image quality (printing) is less important. I print photos very rarely.

Scanning quality is semi-important. I don't scan often, but would like it to look descent when I do.

Suggestions?

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I just picked up the Canon PIXMA MP470. I bought it because my PIXMA iP4200 ran out of ink and I needed to scan some pics for an iMovie HD that I was putting together. Needless to say, the pics came out incredible and the movie was a big hit.

For $99, I don't know how you can go wrong.

3. eji macrumors 6502

eji

I really like my Canon Pixma MP600R. I think this "R" model is only available in Europe -- but anyway, it lets you both print and scan wirelessly. Plus you can easily toggle between different inputs (tray or sheet feeder), print straight to printable DVDs and CDs, and there's a built-in card reader. Very clever.

Having said that, we had a faulty black ink cartridge. The chip on it went bad after three months. So first the printer wouldn't function until powering it off and on a couple of times, then when that solution stopped working, it would neither print *nor* scan because of this faulty cartridge. Canon was no help in replacing it under warranty -- even though the cartridge came with the printer and was still nearly full of ink. Which meant I had to cough up 15 euros and buy a new one, just to scan a document.

I really like the print and scan quality as well as the features of the MP600R, which is why I'd recommend it, but I have to point out that I'm still dissatisfied in three areas: 1) the regularity (Google it) with which these bum cartridges appear, 2) Canon's unhelpful customer service, and 3) that such a minor problem should disable *all* functionality. Oh, and we're also still waiting on a Leopard-compatible scanner driver.

Have I sold it, or put you off entirely?

4. vasoftball5 macrumors newbie

C4280 Printer

I bought the C4280 because they were offering a $100 rebate. It prints very well, and copies very well, but I'm currently having a problem with scanning. The scan function gives an error there is no USB cable connected. This is apparently a problem with the printer and it's use with Leopard. I just got a note today from HP on how to fix. Don't know if it will work.

Print is great. Quiet, very fast, and good quality. Printed a photo to full margin, and turned out awesom.

Just need to fix the problem with scanning.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'd recommend a Canon Pixma All-in-One as well. I have an MP830 and love it. That one is a bit too pricey for what you want though.

6. MacHiavelli macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

I also have an MP830 - it's good but drinks ink at a furious rate. My old HP LJ 3150 is miles more economical for most printing.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Inkjet or laser? Color or monochrome? How much do you want to spend?

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Not mine. I have yet to change out a color cartridge and we've had it for a year. Only changed out the black cartridge twice since we bought it and that's because I changed the firmware to European so I could print on CD's (it's an apparent hack bug which makes it use the photo black and not the larger text black cartridge). Not bad since we use it all the time.

9. Queso macrumors G4

Another Canon MP600 user here. Highly recommended. Very reliable and cheap ink. How can you go wrong?