Recommend a Ram test please. (2010- i7)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lou G., Apr 10, 2011.

1. Lou G. macrumors newbie

I have been having a problem with random shut downs on my 2012 MBP 15" i7. The local authorized Apple repair replaced the logic board. It still happened. I went to the Apple store and they replaced the logic board again and the hard drive. This was about two weeks ago. They would only put in a 5400 HD instead of the 7200 that was in there. They claimed it only comes with a 5400. The Apple store guy said my 8 gigs of ram is not Apple ram.

All work was covered under Apple care.

It worked for about 2 weeks fine than last night it shut down on me again. These shut downs occur under streaming video or just reading on a web site.

A friend recommends doing a ram test.

This is my first Mac and I am not very confident when it comes to these test things. There seems to be a number of download tests. Would you recommend one. Maybe some tips on how to run the tests.

Thanks

Lou

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

The fact that it is not apple ram doesn't matter, it doesn't in any way affect your warranty, these are deemed user replacable parts. And yes 7200rpm drive can and do come in BTO apple latops, if you put it there yourself, your HD was stolen from you, if it was a BTO option, it was still stolen from you, I would go back to the store and have them change it right away.

3. Lou G. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks snaky.

The Apple store gave me the 7200 they took out. I will call Apple to see if my MBP was a BTO.