Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2003
Anyone have a good model they'd recommend? How does the Airport Extreme compare in features and price?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think the first question to consider in figuring out if the AEBS is price competitive is this:

Of the following three features, how many do you see yourself as using in the near future, if you get them?

- 802.11n
- Wireless printing to a USB printer
- Wireless hard disk

And finally how many wired ethernet devices do you foresee networking?

I'd personally say that, if you need two or more of the items in the first list, and you don't need more wired devices than you have ports on the AEBS, it's price competitive with comparable products. If you're only at one of the first three (e.g. just printing), it's probably not competitive. You have lots of options in 802.11g-class with printing that are more affordable (including a used 802.11g AEBS -- the most reliable router I've personally ever used, and you can get one now for ~$50).

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Depends... I think the AEBS is pretty much the only one that will host an HFS+ partition. And assuming Apple delivers on Time Machine interoperability, it'll probably be only for the AEBS.

But if you can live with FAT or a served POSIX partition (e.g. EXT2FS or EXT3FS), there are other options for disk. Not sure if any of them have print serving and 802.11n at the same time, though, again. Netgear makes an 802.11g example... WGT634U or WGT634UNA).

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
There is a Linksys that supports disks but it is the same price as the AEBS. These type of things tend to be finicky. You migh be better off spending the extra money on a network (ethernet) disk/enclosure. If you still want to go USB, I think Belkin offers a network USB hub for about $100 that will support just about anything. Don't know if it works for OSX, however.

For the record I have an AEBS and I would say for anyone wanting to use Airdisks you should probably wait until Apple issues another firmware update.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2003
Right now all I've got is a PC that will be connected via Ethernet and a Mac laptop. Eventually all I'll need is the laptop.

Wireless printing and/or disk would be a nice bonus.

Do you think the AEBS is overkill? And the PC/Mac network wouldn't be a problem, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.