Recommend a scale for use with Health app

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by JangoFett124, Oct 26, 2014.

1. JangoFett124 macrumors regular

I need to get a new scale, so I figured I might as well get one that can integrate with Health Kit. Can anyone recommend one? Thanks!

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Withings has Wifi scales that have their own iOS app and they integrate with Health app

3. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

4. RobinInOR macrumors 6502

RobinInOR

We just bought the Withings scale last week. It's ok, I guess, but it's not completely bug free.

The weight gets to the app fine, but it won't sync reliably with Health. It's better since 8.1, but some days it just will not sync. Then a couple days later it will. It always sync heart rate just fine, so it's hard to tell where the problem is.

The scale for us takes forever to lock on to a weight. Us old folks are unsteady :) so the weight fluctuates a lot. But it's on a brick floor so that might be part of the problem.

Don't move the scale, it's very sensitive so that will change the weights. We've found most scales are like that, tho.

We're reasonably happy with it. Beats writing down your weight

5. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I don't think its Withings thats causing the problem with Health. I was having that too. I wiped my phone and added app by app and tested Health between each, it wasn't stable from the very beginning (without Withings App installed on the phone). Health has some major issues on the 5s - it's unusable most the time.

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Our Withings scale takes a couple moments/seconds to settle in to it's reading, but not what I would call unreasonable. The Withings app tracks the readings extremely well.

Apple's health app works sporadicly, definitely not ready for prime time yet.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Be happy yours works correctly, the one I bought (Withings) was so inaccurate, I returned it. According to reviews, the inaccuracy is a common issue with them.

9. munkydust macrumors member

I was hoping some new BP monitors would be released in conjunction with the release of the iPhone 6. Haven't seen any. And yeah, the withings reviews look pretty mediocre.

10. leventozler macrumors 6502

Withings scale is great but Health app integration is broken.

11. seinman macrumors regular

I use the same scale I've had for years and just type the number into the Health app. Seems easier that way than having to buy a special scale, open its app, and hope it eventually syncs correctly with HealthKit.

12. PlunderBunny macrumors newbie

PlunderBunny

Recommend bathroom scales that link to Health

Hi.

Can anyone recommend a set of digital bathroom scales that meet these criteria:

1. Accurate (on my current non-digital scales, I can make my weight vary by up-to 2kg by leaning backwards and forwards).
    2. Reasonably priced. I don't mind paying good money for good gear, but I'm not going for the 'Edition' scales if you know what I mean.
    3. Integrated with iOS Health app. I want my weight to be uploaded automatically, or as near automatically as possible.

I don't have WiFi at home, so I guess the scales would need to be bluetooth enabled.

Related question: Is it necessary for a product like this to have an app in order to upload it's data to the Health app? I have a feeling that, long before these kinds of products fail in a physical sense, their corresponding apps will cease to be maintained and will become incompatible with future iOS versions.

Thanks.

13. bobhammer macrumors member

bobhammer

Currently I have the Withings smart body analyzer, I pay close attention to my weight. I weight myself twice a day, and I find the Withings quite accurate as comparing the readings with my other scales, it has sensors making sure you are putting your weight right in the centre of the scale for an accurate reading.

You can sync your data to the Withings Health apps via Bluetooth and then share the app data with your iOS health app.

The Withings scale also comes with body fat percentage, pulse, room CO2 level and temperature measurement. I would say the body fat percentage is somewhat accurate, but I find the pulse measurement sometimes can fluctuate a bit.

Hope this helps:D

14. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

I have a iHealth Scale that's bluetooth enabled, ties into healthkit, and accurate readings when compared side by side with normal scales. It's the white one and it costs about $70.

I also have an Easy@Home Bluetooth Scale which ran about $50 at the time but I got it for free. It ties into healthkit, but the deal breaker with that one is that it's always 2lbs off when compared to a normal bathroom scale. Go iHealth.

Oh and to answer your question, each one came with an app that was necessary to tie into HealthKit.

15. BrettDS, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015

BrettDS macrumors 65816

With the bluetooth scales, do you need to start the app and pair the scale before you weigh yourself each time? To me that would be a pretty major inconvenience. I usually weigh myself in the morning before I shower and that's one of the very few times during the day that I don't have my phone with me.

I use a Fitbit Aria, which is wifi, so it may not work for the OP, but it takes pretty much zero interaction from me. I can step on the scale at any time and it automatically detects whether it's me or my wife standing on the scale and it will automatically send the reading to the cloud. I have my fitbit account linked with my myfitnesspal account, so the weight automatically transfers to myfitnesspal, and whenever I start the myfitnesspal app it will automatically transfer my weight readings to the health app. This is all I use myfitnesspal for right now, so I usually only run it every few weeks and it just adds the entries that haven't been added yet.

I'd be a little happier if the weight magically appeared in the health app without starting anything, but I'm not sure if any apps are allowed to update health in the background.

16. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

17. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

You need to launch the scale's app for it to sync to the phone as well as sync to healthkit.

18. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I have a Withings scale, it works well with Withings mobile app and interfaces well with Apple's Health app

19. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Have been using Withings for several years now.