Recommend a scanner for OSX 10.7

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dr Mathias, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Dr Mathias macrumors newbie

Dr Mathias

Hello,
    First post here, hopefully I'm in the right spot.

I need to purchase a flatbed scanner or two for a college graphic design Mac lab. We just updated to 10.7 and our current Microtek scanners no longer work, and I suspect they wont see a driver for a while- plus we need to update anyway.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a flatbed scanner that can handle film positives and negatives (35mm and large format) and hopefully has a 11x17 bed as well. I'm budgeted for about $1700 per scanner.

Thanks!
    Matt

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Have you tried Vuescan software? It claims to be compatible with Lion and it supports a number of Microtek scanners. I'm pretty sure you can try it for free. The pro version costs only $80. I'll take the remaining $1620 off your hands if it's a "use it or lose it" budget item. ;)

3. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Apple Image Capture has had support for many scanners for a long time. Funny how nobody seems to know about it. If it doesn't work with your current scanner, just buy an epson or HP scanner. It will most certainly work with those.

4. blunti macrumors 6502a

Fujitsu ScanSnap series are awesome.

1300m is a great scanner.

5. Dr Mathias thread starter macrumors newbie

Dr Mathias

Thanks for the advice all, I'll try to get the current scanners to work using the options suggested, and I'll take a look at the Fujitsu.

6. treestar macrumors 6502

I didn't find the other posts very helpful. Epson scanners have excellent compatibility with Macs. There is a cheap, $400 Plustek A3 scanner out there that is absolutely incompatible with OS X. Do not buy. As for any other A3 tabloid scanners, I only know of one and it is great, the Epson Expression 10000XL. There is a transparency adapter for film negatives. It may be out of budget for you. Image Capture works with the Epson Expression. It's truly my only suggestion for an 11x17 scanner. There are so few!

I can speak more to it's merits if you'd like.

7. Dr Mathias thread starter macrumors newbie

Dr Mathias

Thanks treestar, I'm checking into all my options. The Epson you mention is actually about perfect for what we are wanting. I may only be able to get one- but I'd rather have one great scanner than two 'okay' scanners.

8. wmlbrown macrumors newbie

Similar Problem Here

I also need a flatbed scanner but slightly smaller - 8.5 X 14 (legal size). I scan artwork, so it has to be flatbed. That size platen used to be available - I've had two over the last 10 years - but I can't find anything that size now. And even the letter-size flatbeds are not all compatible with the new Mac OS.

Frustrating doesn't come close to describe it. It is not cost-efficient to go with a 11"X17" scanner for a thousand or more.

I may be stuck with scanning on my old UMAX PowerLook 1000 hooked up to my old iMac - then transferring to the new iMac. Clumsy and time-consuming!

I tried hooking the UMAX up, but apparently not compatible with new Mac OS.

Thanks for any advice!

9. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

I am happily using my Epson V600 A4 scanner with VueScan - works right out of the box with Lion. Plug it in, run Software Update once, reboot and you are done.

I would love a V700-series scanner but can't justify the extra expense.

10. wmlbrown macrumors newbie

LEGAL size

Thanks Daniel, but the V600 is a LETTER size scanner - 8.5 X 11. I need LEGAL size: 8.5 X 14".