Recommend a slim case?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vertigo50, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I really hate the idea of putting a case on my iPhone 4, but I've got a hairline scratch on the back and the reception issues, so I'm considering it. I want one that covers the back, so the bumper is out.

I'd really like one that meets two requirements:

1. Doesn't add much bulk. I'd like it to be very slim.

2. Isn't "sticky". I've had a silicone case before, but it attracts lint and gets stuck in my pocket.

Anyone have any recommendations?

2. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

yup...

Share your feelings. No way taking any chances.

Had used some plastic hard cases to replace ifrogz on my 3GS. Nary a nick for using them and stronger than the plastic on the ifrogz (that broke easily.)

So I'm staying with that. Got the AT&T Body Glove Vibe Slideshell.

No more atenna issue, no nada problems.

Went with the blue, a really nice color but not showing right now on their site.

3. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

4. jobsfnby macrumors regular

Griffin Reveal

-comes in black or white

-clear back to protect the back of the phone

-when laid on it's front the screen is still off the surface

-Very minimalistic look

-in my opinion it adds less bulk than a bumper

5. xmtgx macrumors regular

Incipio feather, best one out there IMO, unless you want a lay on the table design which it does not have.

6. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Hey guys, thanks for all the recommendations. Can you also mention where you got these cases?

I know I can buy them online, but I'd love to try some out in stores if you can point me in the right direction.

7. Wilcha macrumors newbie

I can't find it in white for iPhone 4. :/

8. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

I picked up a Belkin Grip Vue at the local Best Buy store:
    http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=512159

The clear model preserves the look and feel of the iPhone 4 but it has two problems:
    1. The raised plastic on the top sleep/power button is so stiff, I can't get the button to depress with pressing really hard.
    2. When you take a photo requiring a flash, a big white area appears on the left side of the photo -- which must be some kind of reflection issue caused by the proximity of the LED to the peep hole in the case.

Otherwise, the case is perfect. ;-)

9. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

saw that thread

I got blue not on their website. When I saw the blue I was done. It's very nice. Expensive at thirty donuts though for a little hard plastic made in China.

It's tight. I had trouble when I had the Apple plastic covering the back getting it off. It's fine now but somewhat tight with the top part coming off when you take it apart. But I didn't see any marks. I just tried again laying it flat facing up and it's fine now. The top part comes off first then the bottom of the slider part.

It's tight and will not slip apart if it falls.

10. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

I know you said you were against it, but you should at least check out the bumper. It has very tight tolerances, and is very well constructed. I've been happy with mine.

The ridges seem to stick up enough that a drop would still protect the back.

Also, cases that cover the back, tend to scratch the back. Go figure.

11. jck1634 macrumors regular

jck1634

I'm using the Diesel leather pouch I bought for my iPhone 3G. It actually fits well with the iPhone 4. Keeps a slim profile, it's soft leather so doesn’t add any extra bulk or weight.
    It was a bit snug for the 3G, but for the IP4 it's a really good fit. It's not too snug that it's hard to take out, but not too loose that you worry it's going to slip out.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TV123ZM/A

12. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Do they sell the Incipio Feather in stores somewhere? I'd like to try it out first.

13. jobsfnby macrumors regular

The griffin Reveal is available at Best Buy. I was only able to find white at local BBs but I know they also sell it in black.

The Reveal is just a bumper with a clear covering on the back to protect from scratches. As long as there isn't any dirt or anything inside the case when you put it on it shouldn't scratch your iPhone at all. I had ghost armor put on today and it still works fine over it:).

I have the same preferences as you with no rubber because it collects lint and I don't like how hard it is to get it in and out of my pockets. The Reveal is great at pockets because it slides with the clear backing and the 'rubber' on the sides of phone is just slick enough that it doesn't hold any lint and slides great into pockets yet when you hold it or set it on a table it's 'sticky' enough that you don't have to worry about dropping it or the phone sliding around.

Also, whey the case is on it adds a very small 'lip' to each side of the phone to keep the glass from resting on surfaces when set down. With the lip being small it allows the sides of the phone to be protected enough from falls probably les than 1 ft. So it's nice to have a minimal amount of protection while still showing off the beauty of re iPhone 4.

I love this case because of the clear backing and the almost slick rubber sides to cover the edges of the iPhone.

Hope I can help
    -alex

14. Sinfire macrumors regular

15. BobboZR2 macrumors regular

Being an avid Incipio Feather fan and having used it on both my 3G and 3GS, I have to say that the iFrogz Luxe Lean case is actually better in my opinion than the Feather. Unlike the new Feather it offers a lay-on-table design for the front screen. I also like the vent/grill-like design on the sides which ads to it's "grip-a-bility".

I ordered a Feather the other day but my order was cancelled. I'm afraid to admit it, but as much as I like the Incipio Feathers, the iFrogz Luxe Lean case (which was only to be my temporary case until the Feather arrived) is now my case of choice.

Edit: Do not confuse the iFrogz Luxe Lean with the regular iFrogz Luxe case (which I cannot stand).

16. Blaenk macrumors member

the problem with most of the cases out right now is that they were manufactured without an actual device to test it on, so for example many have these issues where the flash on the camera is adversely affected, such that the pictures come out with some white spots.

It sucks that I have to wait a while more now just to get a case to protect the iPhone.