Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RonShort

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
What would you recommend for my mid 2010 15 MBP?

I am thinking about in the neighborhood of a 512gb and moving my existing 1TB drive either external or to the superdrive bay.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-01 at 11.47.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-01 at 11.47.26 PM.png
    51 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
Check out the Samsung 830. It's one of the fastest, most reliable SSD's on the market at present. It's fast, reliable, and a big improvement over the stock drive. It's a SATA III drive but should be backward compatible with your SATA II MBP. I'm sure others will chime in with their personal favorites. Check out the Samsung 830 thread to see what MR members have to say.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1286166/

Prices on SSD's have dropped a lot recently so I would definitely shop around for a good deal. Check out Newegg, Amazon, and B&H Photo. They all have good customer service and return policies.

Last edited:

RonShort

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
I believe your model is SATA II isn't it? Check out the Samsung 470. I've been running one in my MBP for several months with no problems. It's fast, reliable, and a big improvement over the stock drive. I'm sure others will chime in with their personal favorites.

Prices on SSD's have dropped a lot recently so I would definitely shop around for a good deal. Check out Newegg, Amazon, and B&H Photo. They all have good customer service and return policies.

How can I tell which SATA mine is?

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
About This Mac>More Info>System Report>Serial ATA>Intel Chipset. From there look at the link speed in the bottom pane.

I edited my post to recommend the Samsung 830 as it should be backward compatible. You could also use it in a newer SATA III MBP later if you upgraded. Sorry for the confusion.

----------

How can I tell which SATA mine is?

There's also a neat app in the APP store called Mactracker. It gives you specs on just about every MAC.

RonShort

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
This? = SATA 2?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-02 at 12.45.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-02 at 12.45.37 AM.png
    15 KB · Views: 157

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Samsung's great but frustrating to manage firmware updates without access to Windows. That's worth keeping in mind. I also read on a few occasions that their software is necessary to enable some features but I'm not certain that's fact.

esskay

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
I've been monitoring Slickdeals and in just the past week, there were numerous front page SSD deals. Prices keep falling... I'm going to bite one of these days!

Question - If you buy an SSD and move the original drive over the opti-bay, say to a Data Doubler, do you need to buy any additional brackets/parts/etc to install it?

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
I've been monitoring Slickdeals and in just the past week, there were numerous front page SSD deals. Prices keep falling... I'm going to bite one of these days!

Question - If you buy an SSD and move the original drive over the opti-bay, say to a Data Doubler, do you need to buy any additional brackets/parts/etc to install it?

I'm only familiar with the OWC Data Doubler. It works straight out the box but is a bit expensive. Many have found cheaper models on eBay. Some required minor adjustments and some didn't. Don't have much info or experience with any of those though. Here's a link for several.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=mbp+hdd+caddy&_sacat=0&_odkw=hdd+caddy&_osacat=0&_from=R40

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.