Recommend a two-computer back up solution

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AlBDamned, Jun 12, 2007.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I'm looking to buy a backup drive for two new iMacs. I don't want to do it over a network, but was thinking one drive (say 250GB) split into three partitions:

P1: 100GB b/u for iMac 1
    P2: 100Gb b/u for iMac 2
    P3: 50Gb central storage for both.

I was thinking firewire from each computer into one drive, but not sure if this is possible. I'd be using smart update on SuperDuper for the backup.

I know most external drives aren't configured for network use - even if it is just for two computers. However I don't have the budget for a proper "network drive".

The actual budget is about US$200-250 (AU$250-300)

What do you guys think? Is it possible to have a central drive set up like this?

I'd rather do firewire so it's bootable should we have any problems (USB is not bootable so that rules out the cheaper WD MyBooks and similar).

Cheers!

2. iMouseHD macrumors regular

Not really an answer to your question but having faced a similair quandry on wanting networked storage for three machines but not having the budget for a "proper" solution, I picked out a Networked HD Enclosure from the apple section of our local apple dealer and a 500 gig IDE drive for it, total cost was a smidge over 200. 74 for the enclosure and 115 for the HD on sale.

I am actually more content knowing that if the drive ever fails I can easily swap in a new one.

My two cents.

http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0243003

3. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Cheers, I have indeed looked at just getting an enclosure and a drive but the guy at my local store said a drive with two firewire ports wouldn't work if connected to two computers. I'm going to try it tomorrow with a smaller drive I have.

I really want firewire rather than ethernet as the computers are on two different ethernet networks so it's a bit more complex than first appears. Would be easier if it was just one network!