Recommend a water filter?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Apr 19, 2009.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

After reading a bit, I decided to ditch my monthly water bottle deliveries and get a water filter pitcher.

Can anyone recommend me one? Don't recommend me Brita, from what I've read, they suck. I'm thinking of getting Aquasana based on reviews.

But suggestions or recommendation from first-hand experience would be great!

2. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I have a PUR 2-Stage dispenser and it works pretty good. I've been using it for about a year now.

3. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I second the PUR Pitcher.

They also have some that attach directly to the faucet. We used to use those, but our current faucet has a hose so it doesn't allow for the filter to hook up.

4. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

We've got the PUR faucet-mount. Great little gizmo. I'd recommend the all chrome one though, we had one of the cheaper plastic versions and inside a couple months, the ring that connected to the faucet had cracked. It also comes with a little LED light that flashes when you turn on the filter; green for good filter, red for time to replace filter.

5. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I have a PUR filter--built into the water/ice dispenser in my refrigerator. :)

6. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

If you get one of the Aquasana countertop systems, I'm sure it will be fine. We bought a Kenmore 34551 in 2007 based on reviews from Consumer Reports and it has been excellent. A little bit irritating to have a bunch of tubes around the sink, but not too bad. The 34551 was under $50 for the unit and then $20 a year for replacement filters. It looks like Kenmore doesn't make these anymore nor have they implemented a replacement model. Still, you might check them out since they do tend to be a bit cheaper (Kenmore is only sold at Sears AFAIK). As I remember the other Kenmore unit recommended by Consumer Reports was one of the undersink models.

7. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

I live in an apartment, and the apartment has the worst kitchen sink ever.

It's literally 6"x12". That's in inches, people.

So I'm loath to add any additions to the faucet or anything, because that'll mean even less space in the sink. That's why I'm looking for a pitcher.

Keep the suggestions coming! Thanks!

8. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

Pur has a pitcher and large jug (~5gal I think) versions of filters. Only draw back is that the filters are about $10 each where I live. They last me about a month but filter great though!

9. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

That's a shame because pitcher filters don't last long and are quite pricey (maybe not as expensive as having your water delivered though), but since you have those restrictions I'd have to just concur with what you said at the beginning - Don't buy Brita. I guess the one word of advice I could offer is to check the price of the filters and make sure that the price would never inconvenience you. There were months before we bought the countertop one when an extra $30 was a major pain.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It's expensive but Zerowater. Best filter ever.

11. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

have you tried just refrigerating tap water? try a little taste test. i can't tell the difference between that and filtered or bottled.

12. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

What's wrong with Brita? I used both Brita and Pur (one at home and the other at work) for several years and they both produce about the same quality and taste of water. Brita actually performed a little better, as the filters seemed to last longer and were easier to replace. I also use a built-in filter in our Amana refrigerator that produces good tasting cold water. They are all far better than tap water.

13. eldy macrumors 6502

Brita is good. The filters are easy to replace and the pitchers are easy to refill.

My friend has a Pur one, I believe that you had to hook up to the kitchen faucet in order for water pressure to force the water through the filter. It was a pain in the ass to fill up so most of the time it sat empty in the refrigerator. :eek:

14. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

I want a dispenser one. Reviews on Amazon says Brita's will leak after a while from the dispenser. The Pur one got better reviews.

I think I'll get this.

Thanks guys for the recs!

15. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Nice choice. That's what I have. :)

16. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Brita are fine, have had several of the Brita jug things with the filter in the top of various shapes and sizes, and have a few of their kettles, too.

At home I have a softener and then an inline filter these days. I don't know if they sell them stateside but the Doulton Ultracarb is fantastic :)

17. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Well, yeah, I kinda figured - although I'd like to see the sink that's 6 x 12 feet, that would be a sight! ;)

18. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Just a tangent because I rarely pass up the opportunity to pass on my bad product experiences: I used a Brita tap filter for years. The first one lasted for years. Since then I've had to replace it several times, each seemingly quicker than the last. The problem is the cheap plastic threads on the faucet mount are not sufficient to the task. They will eventually succumb to pressure and blow the whole filter right off the tap, usually spraying water over the whole kitchen in the process. I think Brita has started cutting corners on materials. The last one I owned lasted less time than the filter that came with it.

I recently did some shopping around and found that the more expensive PUR filter CorvusCamenarum mentioned above (the chrome one with the green flashing ring) still has metal threads on the mount. It's larger and clunkier, and doesn't have the Brita's third "spray" setting, but so far so good, and I am optimistic that better material quality means I'll be able to go back to just replacing filters instead of the whole darned unit every few months.

19. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Today's Amazon Gold Box Deal of the Day is the Pur 2-stage dispenser for $20. Just thought this was a fun coincidence.

Linky

Personally, I prefer tap water. Keeps the immune system on it's toes.

Edit: Looks like you chose to go with this one earlier in the thread. Act on that price, it will double tomorrow.

20. AceParkle macrumors newbie

I have been using a PUR brand water filtration. If you still looking for a better one, I recommend you this. After the water has been filtered the water become clear crystal and the undesired substances and microorganisms will vanish. You can ensure that you drink safe, better taste and good water.

21. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Do you live in San Francisco? If you do still, is the filter all that important? I've always found SF tap water to be remarkably good, because it is essentially 100% snow melt anyhow. If you are still living in SF, I think you should try just tap water because I am pretty spoiled when it comes to filtered water, and I think it's just as good.

In any case, I'm looking to buy that same dispenser because I'll be needing one very shortly. Several reviewers on Amazon mentioned that while the dispenser itself is great, Amazon shipping hasn't always been terrific with this item. Sometimes the plastic between the upper and lower tanks comes cracked and lets water through. I suggest swallowing sales tax and just buying it from Walmart/Target and buying the replacement filters from Amazon.

Now this really surprises me. Is the water really that different through the filter compared to the tap? I feel a double-blind study needs to be commissioned on this right away! :p

22. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

brita works ok to remove chlorine. that's all we need. I tired the dupont filters that fit the brita. they work better according to my wife. but the two we used plugged up after a week or so. but they sent a new box so I will test them again.
    we have a manufactured home and the pipe under the sink was a nightmare. I was finally able to replace most of it with those great slip on connectors and it is leak free. but I dare not tamper with it.

23. Xavier macrumors 68020

I've only used Brita. The water tastes very clean, except for when the filter is out dated. Then it tastes like charcoal.

24. Elixer macrumors regular

25. Vicbowling macrumors newbie

That's the type I use but I got mine at waterfiltersfast.com. It works like a charm and the taste of my drinking water has certainly improved. They have a lot of different types of water filter systems for anyone that doesn't like the under-the-sink variety though.