Recommend a web host?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ravenvii, Jun 22, 2007.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

My .Mac membership is expiring soon, so I'm looking for other places to store my files. I won't be putting up a site, it will primarily be for backing up my files and having my files accessible on other computers. I will also use it for the occasional image in forum posts and for showing others.

What host do you recommend?

2. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

that we do, and i agree.

depending on how much stuff you're going to be putting up, their tiny plan might work for you.

4. lag1090 macrumors 6502

I personally use http://www.webhostingbuzz.com/. They're the cheapest around, and I've never had a problem with them. If you decide to go with them, though, could you possibly PM me beforehand so I can be marked as referring you?

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Another vote for A Small Orange.

...I would vote for them twice if I could.

6. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I've always heard good things about ASO, but their plans didn't quite fit what I needed.

www.bluehost.com has been really good to me. Their space is virtually unlimited, so is their bandwidth.

7. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Check the terms of use carefully when you pick a host. If you're just wanting file storage and aren't putting up an actual site, some hosts won't let you. You might try a file storage service instead. Something like XDrive (5GB free online storage).

I've never used any, so I can't recommend one, but it might be a better alternative to standard web hosting.

8. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

A Small Orange looks good. Thanks guys!

Now to decide between 75 MB for $25/year or 400 MB for $50/year... My iDisk is currently 45 MB, and the highest I've ever gone is ~100 MB, so I can do with 75 MB... but I have to actually watch how much memory I'm using, while with 400 MB I can set it up and forget it.

Hmmm...!

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Dreamhost used to be awful but cheap... but now in the last year they've been super reliable and they have quick friendly service. And they're still cheap!

10. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I love a small orange.

Trouble free hosting since I got one of their lifetime plans.

11. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

12. zflauaus macrumors 65816

x2. I've had Dreamhost since December 2005 and I have had only a few minor issues (my fault mostly) but they have been cleared up within a couple hours at the most.

13. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

I'm currently using http://knownhost.com/ I'm running on a VPS but I'm certain their web hosting plans are equally excellent :)

14. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

Google hosting is free up to 100MB. You cannot beat their free image hosting, which I think is now at 1GB for free.

15. aristobrat macrumors G4

Same here! :)

16. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

x3. If you want a lot of storage at a cheap rate, they can't be beat. Not great for commercial sites, but I love them for what they are. ASO's great by any account, but they don't provide much storage.

With DreamHost, $8/month gets you 150GB - and 1 more GB per week you remain a customer. That is some serious backup capacity.