Recommend accessories for the macbook pro retina 13inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macfreak101, Sep 30, 2014.

1. macfreak101 macrumors regular

Hey guys,
    What are the recommended accessories for the macbook pro?
    Things other than Apple care of course.

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

I'd suggest something like a Speck hardshell to protect it, and maybe Magic Mouse if the trackpad drives you nuts.

App's (other than what it comes with) to help you use it for why you bought it are also a good idea. :p

3. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha 😂 which apps as such? :p was thinking of getting the speck hardshell but then I read it traps a lot of heat and blocks the vents? What about the skins and stickers? Are they easy to apply and remove? I hope they are reusable as the cost surely makes it a piece of gold :p

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Get an external drive and do regular backups.

5. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

Already done that :D
    What about screen protectors, keyboard guards palm guards etc? Are they worth it or I rather use that money for Apple care :p

6. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Haven't you already asked about screen protectors several times before? Is there something you're missing from the responses? The short answer - they're a waste. The longer answer - they're a waste and ineffective.

Apple doesn't recommend palm guards given how thin the rMBP is. Unless you wear a lot of jewelry, don't worry about if.

Stickers - yeah...whatever. If you're into that, have fun. Me - I'd rather spend my time using it to edit images in Photoshop, or do stuff in Motion 5 rather than make it look "cute".

As to the Speck case causing heat and blocking ports, it doesn't. I have one on my 15" rMBP - no issues.

7. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

Im not talking about the screen protectors as the screen protectors I meant products like radtechs Screensaver etc. Ahh that's great but by skin I meant the wrapsol clear which is transparent and protectors the outer body. But the speck one is pretty expensive how is kuzy case? The apple genius guy told me not to buy one as it blocks heat so that's really gotten me confused

8. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

What I can tell you is this - the Speck case doesn't block any of the fan ports - intake or exhaust. Not sure where this genius got his info, but....it wasn't by actually looking at a Speck case on a rMBP.

As to a clear stick-on protector, the problem with these is that if you get anything underneath while applying it, it'll show through. they're also extremely difficult to put on correctly/straight the first time.

Personal recommendation only - use something like a Speck or Kuzy case or similar and quit worrying about it. Pick one.

9. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

A good sleeve like Rickshaw Bags or Incase if they've actually made ones for the rMBP. I've never used one of those hardshell cases. Always a sleeve, and my 09 MBP just has a few minor scratches and tiny dents. My 13 rMBP just has fingerprints all over it. Also a good bag if youre going to be taking it around with you. I like my JanSport Odyssey for school. It has a padded pocket for a laptop.

10. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

I got the keyboard protector and after seeing that if left an outline of it on the screen I ditched it. I have the Speck case and thus far it works very well. No it does not increase the heat of the system. How do I know this ? I used a temp monitor app with the case on and off, no difference.

11. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

Thinking of getting the kuzy case then, any thoughts? Have you bought any cleaning kit as such?

What's the difference between a sleeve and a bag? I rather buy a good laptop bag instead of a sleeve right? How did you get dents thats just scary I haven't gotten a single dent on my previous laptop which is 6 years old. Any way to avoid scratches?

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Just be careful

Most of the people on here will just use their macbooks naked and not worry about it we buy them to use as a tool, not to frame them and look at them. We clean them where necessary usually just with a microfibre cloth and water, and occasionally an open up and dust clean out once a year or so.

As has been pointed out by others you have asked these questions endlessly on here in numerous threads, your own and those you've hijacked from others.

So once and for all, no we don't reccomend a case of any sort, yes a good sleeve or laptop bag for on the go, no we don't buy cleaning kits, no a screen cover is not necessary, no you don't need anything between the keyboard and screen and finally your macbook will get a few scratches on the bottom may get the odd tiny dink over time that is just normal wear abnd tear for a portable device.

One final point the guy with a few dents and scratches on his macbook has had it 5 years so thats to be expected for someone who actually uses their computer.

13. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

I use my computer for almost 10 hours in a day btw and my previous one had no scratches or dents at all. It's not about making a fuss it's about taking care and appreciating your product, it's bought with hard earned money, valuing your product is valuing your money . Haven't hijacked any thread and this place is forum for reason, people post their doubts and people help them in return, if you have problems with people over here, you surely shouldn't be here in this first place :)

14. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

You are making a fuss if you don't think so then you have a few issues.

You have continually chimed in on a fair few threads asking the same questions you have in your own I wouldn't mind but you get the same answers everytime, that's why I gave you a little roundup you seem to have a memory problem.

If you have used a computer for 10 hours a day for a few years without getting any marks at all then we should be asking you these questions as you clearly know what to do.

Yes it is expensive, but it is still just a tool, a good power tool a set of wrenches or laboratory equipment is expensive but you wouldn't expect them not to get some wear and tear. A computer is the same thing especially a portable one expecting no wear and tear is bordering on insane.