Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andym172

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
UK
I'm currently renovating a house and am wanting to keep track of all the costs etc.

I'm totally useless at keeping track of these things, and have been recommended by my accountant to use an accounts package, but have been told that the one he recommended is for Windows only.

I have Microsoft Office 2004 and could go the Excel route, but I would think this would take a while to set-up, and may not be idiot proof :D

So, can anybody recommend an accounts package to me?

jimsmac

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2001
If you're looking for a full on accounts package you may want to try one of Mind Your Own Business line of products. I think if you go to http://www.myob.co.uk you can download a 30 day demo of each one.

I run my bookkeeping business on their products and they do just fine.

James

andym172

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
UK
Thanks for the recommendations - I'll check them out tonight :)

Does anybody have any others? Preferably freeware?

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Do you happen to have a copy of Quicken on your machine? It seems to come on many Mac products. You could set up accounts and categories within Quicken easily.

As a last free resort you could use a text file and enter your categories and amounts then let your accountant have the data--they are so often handed paper and receipts in a shoe box that he'll be grateful even for a text listing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.