Recommend an app for taking notes, lectures

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eurobum, Sep 24, 2013.

1. eurobum macrumors member

I use Pages now.

I wonder if there's something really good specifically for note-taking during lectures. All text, virtually no diagrams, insertion of images would be nice.

I realize all this can be done in Pages, but as a "normal" text editor there surely must be a more intuitive software for notes.

Suggestions?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Does yojimbo fir the bill? I haven't used it, but it seems like it has what you need

3. eurobum thread starter macrumors member

That's a good suggestion, but looks a little too bloated for me -- a collection of your data it seems. I'm essentially looking for a word processor that's 'note-centric.'

4. Zerozal macrumors 6502

Check out Curio. It's a pretty powerful notebook--depending on your needs, it might be overkill for just taking notes for class, but could be useful for your overall schoolwork, projects, etc.

5. Aegarn macrumors newbie

6. eurobum thread starter macrumors member

Will check this, out. Thanks.

Thanks, but I need a desktop app not iOS.

More suggestions are welcome :).

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I use Circus Ponies Notebook.

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11661/circus-ponies-notebook

For my day to day notes. I like it a lot.

No complaints what so ever. If I am doing a brain storming session in a group or for a project I use Curio. I haven't used the newest version Eight (8) though. Haven't upgraded yet.

8. onekerato macrumors regular

Try Scrivener. It's designed for text.

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Also, are you using the Cornell Notes taking system?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornell_Notes

If so, then Pages is pretty good.

10. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

Not what you are asking for, but just wanted to give a shoutout to iStudiez Pro.

11. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

I would not recommend software but paper and pen inside the classroom.

My suggestion is to take a photo of a page and store it in a hard drive or evernote. Practice enough and trust you can write legibly. It seems like the hand and brain works great for processing what you listen and see in lectures. There's freedom in physical media you can't get with software.

In my experience through university and grad school, the less you depend on software the better. However, for writing a manuscript learning LaTeX and using a manager like BibDesk does make a difference in the quality of your work and stress.

Good luck with school.

PS. Experiment with different approaches and software, but don't get too hanged in mastering an application instead of your class work.

12. mfuentesr macrumors newbie

I would recommend Evernote :) or Notablity

13. jeremydc macrumors newbie

Have you tried OneNote by Microsoft. A bit biased as I am a daily Office user but it works well.

14. kitkat8391 macrumors newbie

Personally I use audionote. It records my lectures and i can type as the teacher talks. It makes it easier since if i missed something, I can click on a word with the hand (one of the options in it) and it brings me to that part of the recording. Its super helpful if there is a lot of information to write down. You can also use a pdf file as a background, although i just prefer righting down information that isn't on the powerpoint or file and i can add things to it later on.

It will export the audio as a CAF or WAV file, so if you want something specific to change it to, I use Total Video Converter Lite, which is free to do it. I do this if a friend wants the lecture audio or I want to add it to my ipod to listen to outside of my laptop

A downfall is you can only open the notes part with audionote, but you can copy and paste to a word document or pages if you really want it in a document. I always have my laptop with me so I don't see the need to change it into a document or copy/paste unless i'm sending the notes to someone else.