Recommend an external DVD burner

molocono

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
I'm thinking of investing in an external DVD burner? Any suggestions? I want something that can handle dual layer discs, as well as both DVD -/+ R.

I have a Quicksilver G4, 933MHz, with OS 10.4.

Thanks!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I have a Lacie d2 - from before they all had Lightscribe - and I love it. Nice form factor, nice performance. There are likely better/cheaper options, but, FWIW, the d2 has worked well for me.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
is there any explicit thing you want to do with the dvd burner or do you just need to get it to work, and cheaply?

not all drives are made equal...

molocono

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
I'm just looking to burn DVDs for my small business. Some clients have been asking for 50+ copies so I need a better drive than the one in my Mac.

molocono

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
I'm trying to decide between a Sony, Plextor, and LaCie external DVD burner. Any thoughts?

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I was looking at a LaCie the other day and think that's what I'll probably get. I've got a LaCie external drive that I've been very happy with.

molocono

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
I think I'm gonna go ahead and get the new Sony. It's the same price as the LaCie.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
jsw said:
I have a Lacie d2 - from before they all had Lightscribe - and I love it. Nice form factor, nice performance. There are likely better/cheaper options, but, FWIW, the d2 has worked well for me.
I have the same Lacie and I love it, great drive......

SHadoW

Kalns

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
I'll post this question here so I don't have to start a new thread. On those Lacie drives with lightscribe, I heard that if you use it you can only burn a single layer disc. Is that true?