Recommend an External HDD Set-up for my Needs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Xtreambar, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Xtreambar macrumors regular

I need external HDD space for the following uses:

1) Storing movies and watching them from the same drive.
    2) Downloading torrents
    3) Time machine back-ups of my 80 gig Macbook HDD, which I may upgrade in the future.

It seems to me that a single 750 GB external drive with FW400 should be enough for my needs. I understand that downloading torrents and watching movies on the drive will put constant wear and tear on the disk, which makes it less than ideal for back-up storage. However, as I do not intend on keeping original important files on the external drive, only back-ups, I figure I should be safe if either my MB or external disk craps out; I'd only be out my movie files - a pain to re-rip but not disastrous.

I'm looking at the following items on Newegg :
    -- Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM - $130 -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136131
    -- ICY DOCK MB559 MB559UEA-1S 3.5" USB2.0 & 1394 External Enclosure - Retail - $45 after $15 discount and $15 rebate -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817198004

Sounds like a good set-up? Any second thoughts before I pull the trigger?

2. fstfrwrd macrumors regular

3. Xtreambar thread starter macrumors regular

I considered that but my Macbook came out before they added N-band capability. Watching movies on B/G seems to me to be unfeasable due to lag.

4. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

This is exactly what I did - purchased a 1TB External USB 2.0 HD from Newegg - it's a WD for only $200. Then, I'm going to buy an Airport Express for $99. So for the same $299 as the low end Time Capsule I'll be doubling the storage and still be getting 802.11n :D

5. Xtreambar thread starter macrumors regular

Note that the Airport Express cannot connect to an external HDD even though it has a USB2 port; you have to move up to an Airport Extreme. *insert angry comment about why TC and AP Extremes can't stream music to stereos*

6. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

yeah, I know the HD can't be connected to Airport Express - that's not really a big deal for me since I'm at my desk a lot anyway so plugging the external HD into my MacBook really isn't a big deal

7. Xtreambar thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, I assumed you wanted to create a DIY Time Capsule with those two items, which would, of course, be amazing.

8. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

No kidding but doubling the storage for the same price as the low end Time Capsule IMO is a steal

9. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

What bit rate are your movies at? I can stream mp4 over my G network from my iMac to my Mini under the TV without lag. I ripped DVDs at 2000kb/s and the maximum resolution Handbrake would allow. Quality doesn't seem any worse than DVD. I see a short 2-3 second buffering on start up but otherwise there's no other lag or buffering during play back.

I'm using a new Gigabit Airport Extreme, but all my Macs are still pre-N.

As for external drive set up, I have a NewerTech MiniStack V3 external enclosure with a 500GB drive. It has USB/FW400/FW800/e-SATA connections and built-in USB and FW hubs. It's pretty good - it cost about 4x the USB-only generic enclosure I bought from CompUSA previously, but I think it's worth it, if only for the reason it allows my Mac to go to sleep while still attached, unlike most (or all?) USB external drives.

10. Xtreambar thread starter macrumors regular

I'm intending on getting the following, pretty much the same set-up as earlier:

WD Caviar 1TB Drive - $159.99 + tax @ Best Buy (currently on sale)
    Icy Dock M599 (USB + FW400) - $45.99 + tax + shipping @ New Egg (on sale and after $15 rebate)
    Airport Extreme - $105 + shipping + tax @ eBay
    -------
    ~$310 + shipping + tax.

===

Final thoughts?

11. nastebu macrumors 6502

streaming over wireless g

For the record, I have a pre-N MacBook Pro and a Time Capsule, and I do stream movies over the network with no problem. The movies are ripped on Handbrake's standard setting.