Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

picasso_41

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2003
I'm a retired AutoCAD user and would like to buy a CAD program for my G4 Powerbook. I'm thinking that Vectorworks would be a good choice because it is powerful and reasonably priced. But I don't know how it compares with the other stuff available. I would like something that works like AutoCAD, with a command line interface, but that's not likely.

Also, I'm interested in a tabloid sized inkjet printer. Any advice there? The Canon i9900 looks like it would do the job for both cad and photos.

Thanks.
Dave

mr_mac

macrumors member
May 1, 2004
Quebec, Canada
I love vectorworks.

Way beyond what autocad can do.

For a printer, check HP's deskjet large format. I own a 1220C/PS and i love it! It's replaced by a new model, but i highly recommend it.

Hope this helps,

Mrmac

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
I use PowerCADD 6 at work. I think it works pretty well, but to tell you the truth It's the only CADD program I've ever used for OS X and I only to two dimensional stuff. So I really have no frame of reference.

As for a printer, the only oversized printer I use is an HP (I can't remember the model #) and I wouldn't reccomend it because it's always having problems finishing printing what it starts.

Matt

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I'm currently using VectorWorks. Several years ago I did some work for a company that used PowerCADD. Both programs are pretty good. PowerCADD only does 2D as far as I remember.

For the last 4 years I've been using an Epson 1270 for 11 x 17 printing....the current version is the 1280.......it's been a good printer for me

you might also check out http://www.architosh.com for info about Mac based CAD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.