Recommend Camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by StirlingScott, Feb 9, 2008.

1. StirlingScott macrumors newbie

Hi,

As a hobby 3-4 years ago I was into video shooting football matches (soccer) using a Canon XL1 that I purchased from friend and editing video on my iMac and powerbook using Final Cut Pro. As it was a hobby and i only really shot football so i could not really justify owning an XL1 so I sold it.

Now though i'm looking to purchase for the same reason to shoot football matches, a camcorder in the price range of £750 ( 1500dollars ) using my macbookpro, imovie hd or finalcut express for editing.

The video footage will be used by the players and team for training analysis so i need to give them footage maybe in dvd format but i would also like to edit the match into 3 minute highlights and post on the internet.

What would people now recommend in todays market for a camcorder to do this with full mac compatibility. In my xl1 days i could record onto mini dv but at the same time through-record onto my laptop for editing using firewire and FCP

What my main aim now is to capture the match and provide full match coverage so i can give to the team to analyze ( i would rather give them this unedited so I dont need to spend a lot of time on giving them footage), but then also have the facility to edit the footage on my laptop into the 3 minute highlights.

Can anyone recommend please a good camcorder for this purpose.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm not sure when the latest-to-be-introduced camcorders will arrive in stores, but with your budget, you could easily afford an HD camcorder like the Canon HV20 as well as a couple of standard-def camcorders for different angles. One SD camcorder could be a direct-to-DVD one and could shoot roughly the same shot as the HD one, and the other could provide completely different angles. Just an idea. Otherwise, I'd wait for the newest camcorders to be reviewed.

Most or all will work fine with your Macs.

3. StirlingScott thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive read some good reviews about the Canon HV20. For the purposes i require a comcorder for, would you recommend the HV20 over the Canon HG10 hard disk version.

thanks