Recommend CF Card Reader (Snow Leopard Tested)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gfhoward, Nov 3, 2009.

1. gfhoward macrumors member

Hey guys, can you recommend a CF card reader that is both good and you have tested it to work with OSX 10.6.x? Thank you

2. = bluntman = macrumors regular

See my suggestion in your previous thread, it is UDMA enabled which is perfect for UDMA enabled cards (Lexar 300x or Sandisk Extreme IV cards) but if you don't have any UDMA cards, any card read will do.

3. gfhoward thread starter macrumors member

The previous thread wasn't helpful because folks kept saying the same thing (that any reader will work) when fact is, both me and my wife's readers will not work in SL after testing them with multiple cables AND on totally different computers (we both just upgraded to SL on new and separate machines). Both readers worked before on Tiger, now they suddenly don't work. Now, it's possible that our readers, being 4 -5 years old, are outdated relative to SL. There are also articles online of other people having this same issue of card reader compatability with SL. Someone said to try a reader that was made in the last two years. But it's clear not just ANY reader will work, which is why I'm asking for specific recommendations for readers our members are using successfully with SL. That way, when I buy them, I know they are compatible for sure.

So please post your recommendations for CF readers you are using with OSX 10.6.x Thanks

4. = bluntman = macrumors regular

Well I can assure you that the one I own works in SL.

5. gfhoward thread starter macrumors member

OK, but I don't know how to find it in the USA, and it's not a searchable brand. The store you pointed me to is outside the USA. If you have a link to it at an American store, that would work, but others can chime in and tell me what you're using that is U.S. sourceable. The first place I'll check for one you guys have tested and recommend is Amazon, but I can buy from other places too.

STILL NEED RECOMMENDATIONS FOR CF CARD READERS THAT YOU'VE TESTED WITH OSX 10.6 AND CAN BE BOUGHT IN A U.S. STORE, ONLINE OR OTHERWISE. THANKS!

6. gfhoward thread starter macrumors member

Still Need Recommendations For Cf Card Readers That Anyone Has Tested With Osx 10.6 And Can Be Bought In A U.s. Store, Online Or Otherwise. Thanks!

7. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

i.connect works, I paid $4 for it at Fry's. Cheap POS but works fine in SL, I use it about once a week.

And what people are saying, is true, it should work regardless of the OS. But you want to know, the one above does work. It has a VIA VT6205 chip in it, so any card reader with that chip should work the same.

Are you running 64 bit or 32 bit SL? I know I'm running 32 bit, and have had little problems with anything; everything seems to run perfectly. Others have reported issues with 64 bit mode.

8. gfhoward thread starter macrumors member

I didn't know you can switch modes. How do you do that?

9. Shownarou macrumors regular

If you haven't gone in and messed with it, you're running in 32 bit mode. There's really no reason to, Apple will make it happen when they decide it's what you need. :p

10. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

My Lexar firewire 800 UDMA card reader works with SL.