Recommend configuration best for my needs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zcohenzion, Nov 7, 2013.

1. zcohenzion macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I'm about to buy my first 21.5 inch imac :) would like your help choosing the specifications.
    My uses:

1. Need to install parallels/windows 7. I use a heavy program for my work which I can describe as similar to a graphics program in terms of demands on the processor.

2. Stream movies, office apps, YouTube, listen to music, Facebook, email and web browsing.

3. Usually I do most of the above at the same time with multiple windows\ browser tabs open etc'. it tends to make my PC very slow.

the configurations i think are most suitable for me (also budget wise..) are these:
    i hope to get your help choosing the best option for my needs - that would make my imac run as smoothly and quickly as possible for the next 4 years minimum :) Thank you.

3.1GHz Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    16GB RAM - 2X4GB
    256GB Flash Storage

16GB RAM - 2X4GB
    1TB Fusion Drive

8GB RAM - 2X4GB
    512GB Flash Storage

2.9GHz Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    16GB RAM - 2X8GB
    512GB Flash Storage

2. trans-olsx macrumors member

3. zcohenzion thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies:

trans-olsx: i was thinking 8gb would be enough too, however since upgrading will not be an option in the future i was wondering if i wont regret it?
    perhaps in a couple of years the computer will slow down and the extra 8gb would be needed?

Thanks

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I'd say go for the 3.1GHz i7, 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD. You definitely need the i7 if you're going to be using VMs all the time. i5s only have 4 threads, while i7s have 8 threads.

Since you're doing graphics work, go for the GT750M.

Never, ever go for an i5, even if you're just a regular user. You'll need the extra threads of the i7 sometime in the future.

8GB of RAM is not enough if you use VMs all the time. You need to allocate at least 2 cores and 4GB of RAM to an x64 VM for optimal performance. Go for 16GB. But even so, I find myself running out of RAM even with 16GB on my 21.5" (3.1 GHz i7, 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD). On my 27", I never run out of RAM because it's got 32GB.

5. mossy macrumors regular

mossy

Option 1.

If your not in a real hurry to get it though and can wait to save up a bit more, I would get Option 1 with 512GB SSD.

6. vitalion macrumors newbie

+1 to mossy

I am gonna get the same configuration (option 1) but i am not using virtual machines or somthing. i belive option 1 is a good choice. if you need more space save some $$ and get the 512SDD.

up to you.
    enjoy