Recommend HTML editor for novice?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iPayton, Dec 1, 2011.

1. iPayton macrumors newbie

I'm looking for advice / input / suggestions for a GUI based HTML editor (cheap or free - for now at least) for a novice. I want to begin to build some basic websites. Thanks for your help!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. iPayton thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input. Maflynn do you any experience with Rapidweaver?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its a great app, that has a similar ease of use of iWeb, more templates, more themes and more plug-ins available.

It is however not an HTML editor, infact you really don't have access to HTML, other then creating specific HTML pages within the app.

I use this mostly and I like how it automates my work, looks nice and gets the job done :)

5. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

If you plan on learning HTML and CSS one of the best free options is http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/. The same company makes BBedit considered my many to be one of the best text editors. If you want to spend a bit more Textmate is probably the most popular amongst developers.

You want to stay away from Rapidweaver. You won't learn anything as its basically a wysiwyg type editor with ore designed templates.

6. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Another vote for Coda here. Although if you're looking for a freebie textwrangler's probably the way to go.

7. deafgoose macrumors regular

deafgoose

I vote Adobe Dreamweaver.

It may seem a little complicated at first but you can do simple tasks quite easily.

8. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Shoots the "cheap or free" that the op stated pretty much right in the foot though.

9. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Aptana Studio is way too complicated for someone just starting out and too much for HTML.