Recommend: Interval Timer!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OldCorpse, Aug 31, 2015.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Hello, my fellow mac users! I need what seems to be a pretty simple app, but I can't really find one that does what I need - various pomodoro-derived timers come close, but not quite.

Purpose: I spend a ton of time sitting at my computer, never taking breaks to stand up and take a few steps. I need an app, that reminds me to take short breaks throughout the day, whenever I'm at my desk.

What I need:

1) Ability to set intervals, such as f.ex. 20 minutes productivity - after 20 minutes, an alarm sounds and a visual alert appears so I know it's BREAK TIME!

2) This BREAK time can be set to various intervals, f.ex. 2 minutes - at which point another alarm sounds and visual alert appears so I know it's WORK TIME!

3) These alternating time alerts WORK TIME! BREAK TIME! go on automatically for all day or as long as I got the app running, without my having to keep re-setting it.

4) It has a PAUSE button - so if for example, I'm going to be gone from the room for a few minutes, or for whatever other reason, I can put the app on PAUSE, and then hit "resume" and it goes right back into the intervals.

That's it. I'm willing to pay a few bucks, up to $9.99, but of course, free is better :)

Thank you in advance!

2. jaduff46 macrumors regular

jaduff46

I use Best Interval Timer by Maxwell software on my iPhone. I use it for interval exercise training (20 seconds on, 20 seconds off, repeat 18 times). It's free, has a pause button, and you can have multiple saved sets of intervals. I've had it for about a year and use it almost every day.

3. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Thanks, jadufff46, I do have an ipod iPT5G, so I'll take a look, meanwhile I'm looking forward to app suggestions for my iMac.

4. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Ha, ha, oneMadRssn, that is pretty much what I was looking for... but if I were to wish "to have it all" I would wish for a slightly longer alert sound, rather than a single "ping" which is easy to miss. But yeah, it's about 99% there! And free! Thank you very much, my friend! Of course I'm still open to more suggestions, but this is pretty good!