recommend me a bicycle

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shecky, Apr 16, 2007.

1. shecky Guest

shecky

i am going to use a bike to get to + from work when the weather does not force me onto a bus. all i want is something for pavement, no off road, no racing, just commuting. i will be biking in a hilly area so something that will get me up the hills would be preferable (i suppose that means more than just 3 gears). i am also a pretty big guy (6' and 280lbs) so something fairly safe, comfortable + upright as opposed to a drop handle 10-speed racing bike is preferable. lastly, while i do not want to buy crap, i would like to keep it reasonable (tho i do not really know what "reasonable" is for bikes these days.) i used to bike a lot as a kid but i have not done so in a while, so i do not know a heck of a lot.

thanks!

2. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I would go to Wal-Mart or something along these lines and look at the bikes (if your worried about your bike being stolen). Remember people love to steal bikes & parts so it depends on how much money you would like to sacrifice.

I have a Giant mountain bike (28 speed). It has a front shock which is nice. I paid around $5-600. Great bike! Sometimes you can find clearance on previous years models if you look out for them.

Nuc

3. landis macrumors regular

i would reccomend a giant or specialized hybrid. they have a front fork to minimize bumps and usually come with spring seat and suspension seatpost. they are very nice

i have two $3000 dollar bikes, one for road racing and one for xc.

4. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

I would go look around in a used bike shop, Or in your local paper, loads of people sell nice bikes fairly cheap used. The bikes at stores such as walmart and traget are generally fairly low quality, and though they cost less are not as good.

5. c.joe.go macrumors regular

c.joe.go

i have to agree with fivetoadsloth, look for a used bike. i know that i have found really nice bikes, good components and nice frames for a/b half what you pay @ a normal bike shop. i might actually check out a local bike shop, and ask those guys if they know of anyone trying to sell a bike or ask if one of them is trying to sell. most shops sell to employees at near cost, so you can find really low prices on well maintained bikes.

best of luck.

6. semicharmed macrumors regular

I'm on the opposite end of the height/weight scale (I'm 5'2 and 140ish), so my advice won't be spot on but: I have a Jamis Coda, which is a hybrid road bike, very light alloy frame, skinny tires, 21 gears. The basic frame was $450 (I think- when I bought it I had the frame cut down, got wider tires for terrible N.O. roads and put anti-theft locks on the wheels/seatpost/handlebars so i paid ~650 w/ lock and helmet). Jamis also makes a line called the commuter- the frames are cheaper and it's not as light.
    But if you're serious about the bike, go check out your local bike shop- they'll be much more helpful and will let you test ride the bikes and make suggestions. If you're in New Orleans (which I doubt since you metioned hills...) go to Bicycle Michael's down on Frenchman in the Marigny.

And oh, a local shop will also usually sell used bikes (ie: Bicycle Michael's sells last season's rentals).

7. erikk18 macrumors newbie

Specialized & Craigslist

You can usually find a good deal on a bike through craigslist. I know a lot of people that are now using fixed-speed bikes for getting around in the city. There are less parts on a "fixie" bike. No gears, shifters, or cables. One model that I'm thinking of getting is a specialized langster. They aren't too expensive and they look pretty sharp. Another to consider might be a bianchi pista.

8. EngBrian macrumors regular

Well I live in Canada so I just went to Canadian Tire and grabbed a decent one there. I do the same as you, commute (to school but same thing ~5km or ~3 miles). I got a hybrid on sale ~$250 with taxes. It has smoother tires than a mountain bike which is good for street but for the odd time I am on dirt it has traction on the edges for cornering. It has a front fork to absorb some of the potholes but you still get a jar (especially when you are forced into them by cars). And the seat is nicely cushioned and has a spring in the post.

For a commute it sounds like this is right up your alley. I am about the same proportions ~230lbs 6'2". Just try it before you buy it. Get on, adjust the seat, and pedal around in the small area in the store (even if you can only go a few feet) just to see if it is a good fit for you. If you aren't comfortable in 5 minutes in a store it isn't going to get better on the pavement.

9. typewriterchimp macrumors member

Bianchi is the way to go: steel frame, solid construction, decent components for the price, and the finest smooth ride there is. The Avenue is a lower end model with few frills and a comfy upright riding position:

http://www.bianchiusa.com/07_avenue.html

I own one of these and ride it every day. Very good bike with no shortcuts on construction.

For a little extra money, the more lightweight (but not as smooth because its made of aluminum) Bay City can be had:

http://www.bianchiusa.com/07_bay_city.html

Different stem and handlebar from the Avenue, but many similar components from the looks of it.

Bianchi has cheap, nice bikes that aren't crap. Highly recommended .

-twc

10. gollum macrumors regular

11. cypher macrumors member

12. urista macrumors newbie

urista

hello, i would recommend a schwinn or a raleigh. not that expensive and they are good quality. of course there are much better out there.

13. shecky thread starter Guest

shecky