Recommend me a BT speaker/stereo

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by sdilley14, May 1, 2014.

1. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I'm interested in getting a Bluetooth speaker or stereo ("boombox" style). Size doesn't really matter too much, but I would like something that is relatively easy to transport (so attached speakers are a must - shelf system with detached speakers won't work). I want something that has a good amount of power as I plan on listening to it outside during yard parties, tailgating at sporting events, things like that. I'd like to keep it under $200 if possible.

Thanks!

2. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

Bose mini Soundlink: http://www.bose.com/controller?url=...s/bluetooth_speakers/soundlink_mini/index.jsp

Mini Jambox: http://jawbone.com/store/buy/minijambox

Can't go wrong with the Bose. Great sound. The jambox is great too if you want something a little cheaper in price.

3. sdilley14 thread starter macrumors 65816

4. sdilley14 thread starter macrumors 65816

Suggestions on anything a little bigger? I worry about how these speakers might sound outside in a back yard full of people, or a tailgating parking lot outside, filled with tons of loud people.

5. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

You might have to increase your budget a little. The Big Jambox is around $250: http://jawbone.com/store/buy/bigjambox

6. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

This one is the best IMO for the money:
    SHARKK® Bluetooth 4.0 BoomBox NFC Speaker, 10 Watt Portable Speaker... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ES2BQ7M/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_K99ytb0GGVK9R

7. sdilley14 thread starter macrumors 65816

After doing some research yesterday, I actually put this one in my Amazon shopping cart. It's really hard to argue with the combination of price (compared to other similar units) + positive reviews. I think I'd still like something a bit bigger and louder, but this one might fit the bill. I suppose I can always return it if it isn't quite what I need.

8. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Here is one that is a little bigger:
    Divoom OnBeat-500 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker for iPhone 5, 4S, Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, Galaxy Note 2, iPads and more (Black) by Divoom http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E9G0P60/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_i8-ytb08MKBM0

9. sdilley14 thread starter macrumors 65816

Looks interesting - thanks!

Now if only I could snag a sample unit for evaluation purposes... ;)

10. sdilley14 thread starter macrumors 65816

I think this is the one I'm going to go with. It's hard to argue with the $50 price tag + a ton of positive reviews. I'm just the Jambox and Soundlink are a bit better, but I don't know that they're $100-$150 better.

11. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I have both of these and they're both bar-none in their respective spaces. The Bose I use for when I am packing a larger bag and size isn't an issue (lol I say size because it's a WHOPPING 3x3x6) and want great sound. Or the Jambox Mini is my go-to when I'm just taking a backpack.

The one hint I'll give with both, is when you're in a hotel room, put the speaker in the corner of a room, or at least on a desk that buts up against a wall. It improves the overall sound quality of both immensely!

----------

This one is cheap, but you get what you pay for. Put one of these in one hand, and a Jambox Mini in the other, you'll see what I mean.

12. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

If you want something portable and at a great price then you cannot go wrong with the JBL Flip/Flip 2. Great quality for just $99

If you want something that sounds amazing and you have a sprint store near you, pick up the Harmon Kardon Onyx Studio. Normally $400 by itself but through tomorrow 5/8, sprint corporate stores have a BOGO deal where you get the Onyx and a JBL Flip for just $250. Steal of a deal and as top of the line as you can get for a bluetooth speaker.

13. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

X2 JBL Flip it will fill up a room. great for parties. and traveling light. I carry mine everyday. The first version you can get for $89. I think you can also pony them if you have two. Comes with a cool carrying bag.

Either JBL or Jambox.

14. bagelche, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014

bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

Probably weaker than you want, but I recently picked up up a Logitech Mobile Boombox (refurb: $35). It's small, but loud enough to fill any room in my house with pretty clean sound (but no bass to speak of).

I've been curious about how the Monoprice units compare.

15. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

I have both and they are the same thing. I mean having Bose is like having a Apple product it just makes you a better person. The Jambox is still great but just feels a bit cheaper. Honestly can't really tell a big of a difference with the sound quality. I ended up giving the Jambox to my dad (he is the my electronics recycle bin and is all about his MAC Swag after I got him a new iMac and Apple 1 on 1)

If you are anal and only buy new then I say get the Bose its only 20 bucks more.

If you don't care then get the Jam Box Mini on ebay you can get them for $70-90 bucks on ebay or Amazon used.Which is 50% off their store price.Its impossible to justify paying 110-130 bucks more for the Bose speaker tho as you won't get that much of a difference in sound quality.

Also if you don't mind used you can get the Bose Soundlink 2 for around 140-160 used :)

16. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

JBL Flip 2 is really good for the price-$100 or so. Portable, small, big sound.

17. sluggozmom, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014

sluggozmom macrumors 6502

sluggozmom

I have the UE line, the Mobile Boom, the Mini Boom, and my latest addition, the UE Boom...
    I've been very happy with all three. Of course , my favorite is the UE Boom.

18. Ronnoco, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014

Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I have several BT speakers (Bose SoundLink, Jambox and FoxL Platinum) and for personal listening in say a hotel room or office, the FoxL has the best sound via it's apt-x BT (when not using my 2013 MBA, I use a JayBird apt-x adapter for the source music). It really is about as close to an "audio file" experience one can get form a very small (this thing is TINY but REALLY solidly built), compact, personal BT speaker, especially when having it powered from the wall (goes to 8w output from 4w on the battery) and when powered and wired via the included AudioQuest cable, it can sound down right outstanding if the source file is of a decent bitrate. Using BT with apt-x and powered is nearly as good. Crisp highs, clear mids and solid structured bass (and twenty hour battery). It WILL walk on you if you don't use the included rubber mat!

Now, of course it doesn't have the pounding bass or room filling sound of the much larger Bose SoundLink or even the newer Bose Mini (although I tend to not like the Bose Mini DSP with its highly colored bass). Neither of these Bose products come with apt-x which i think is a shame. it REALLY does make a difference to my ears when used with my MacBook air with apt-x enabled from the OS. Quite impressive.

Anyway, just my two cents. The FoxL v2 Platinum with apt-x is quite an outstanding little piece of kit.

19. bizslinkleo macrumors newbie

I've been using EARSON Outdoor speaker. it‘s really a hard-to-get goods of the fact that it was made in China, but they can still be found at some online mall like Amazon, BLmall ,lightinthebox.

They produce excellent sound loud and quality,and it is not expensive. If you want a good portable speakers, buy them from online shop is a good choice.really a awesome speaker.