Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheAnvil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
Hi,

Looking to get into comics, so could you guys recommend me a good comic app?

Thanks!

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
For paid, Comixology.
Great reading engine and has many daily deals.
Amazon took it over recently so getting content is a little wonky (need to buy outside of app).

For your CBR reading, I use Comic Zeal and love it.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Wasn't Comixology just purchased by Amazon?

Yes..... And the ability to do in-app purchases was neutered recently by Amazon or Comixology or both. Who knows.

I have stayed away from Comixology for the most part for the very reason you do not own the product. There is no way to back up the product and it has DRM all over it. I don't know what type of comics you do like or if you get them in the "after" market. But I do like the Image app, but then again you can download, backup and there is no DRM on them.

So it really depends on what you are looking to do, purchase digital comic books, read comic books that you have acquired somewhere else etc.

While there are some old posts and apps, you can always read through this thread also:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/887362/

Last edited:

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
That sounds like your issue is with DRM, not Comixology.
It is the exact same system if you bought the comics from the DC/Marvel app or on a Kindle.

I remember getting into the "1st issue free" extravaganza that Marvel did last year and scored like 50+ hi quality digital issues.

I log into my account in Comixology and look under My Books and there they are, I can pick and choose which to download, etc.

I can log into my account from any device and my books are all there.

To me, that is a plus.

And really, to go back to the original question, if you want to purchase legitimate, digital comics (Marvel/DC) to read, you only have 3-4 options (that I know of).
DC, Marvel, Comixology and Kindle (which you should do because their comic reader stinks).
And they all use the same DRM.

DRM is a whole other argument.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
That sounds like your issue is with DRM, not Comixology.
It is the exact same system if you bought the comics from the DC/Marvel app or on a Kindle.

I remember getting into the "1st issue free" extravaganza that Marvel did last year and scored like 50+ hi quality digital issues.

I log into my account in Comixology and look under My Books and there they are, I can pick and choose which to download, etc.

I can log into my account from any device and my books are all there.

To me, that is a plus.

And really, to go back to the original question, if you want to purchase legitimate, digital comics (Marvel/DC) to read, you only have 3-4 options (that I know of).
DC, Marvel, Comixology and Kindle (which you should do because their comic reader stinks).
And they all use the same DRM.

DRM is a whole other argument.

You forgot the Image app, which is DRM free. Not so much with DRM but the fact that I don't own the comic nor can I back up the comic to my own device. When comixology has an outage, or if a comic is removed, even though you bought it, the comic is now gone.

The inability to have the comic downloaded and backed up outside of the above apps with the exception of Image, is a deal breaker. I have picked up some comics both bought and free, but I do not count on nor do I get my monthly pulls from them.

You can DRM the hell out of a comic book, that I don't care. But the inability to have it locally saved and backed up is what I don't like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.