Recommend Me a Compact Point & Shoot Camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Philgr, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Philgr macrumors regular

Going on holiday soon and although im planning on taking my SLR with me, i really think it would be useful to have a compact Digi camera

what is the compact of choice at the moment budget is approx £200

Thanks in advance

Phil G

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

While I'm sure that MacRumours will always be full of repeat questions, and people will never do a search for one of the hundreds of threads that answer your question, I'd expect you to look down the list of threads, and see this link near the top of the page.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=294134

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I really enjoy my Olympus µ 600, 6MP, sturdy, large LCD, excellent battery life, nice macro, weatherproof, actually focuses in low light and gives me lots and lots of nice pictures... and it should cost you under £200 even with a couple of decent sized xD card (I get about 350 images of the best quality on a 1GB card) and an extra battery.

I still use it a lot, even if I've later gotten myself an E-400, and when and if I'm going on holiday, it's the µ I'm going to take with me... :)

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Leica D-Lux3.

Pricey, but a very good camera except for low-light situations.

It does wide format and has a great wide angle zoom. Great piece of glass makes all the difference, and this camera has the best piece of glass that I could find on a P&S. Honestly, it outshines my Canon 10D in many situations.

If it is outside of your budget, check out the Panasonic Lumix DX2, the same camera and lens except for the firmware and provided software.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have a samsung s730 or whatever. It's my purse/party camera. I don't use a point and shoot otherwise. That said, I would second the Lecia but that is out of most people's range so hit the Panasonic Lumix DX2.

6. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Some suggestions:
    • Panasonic DMC-LX3: I've owned this for a couple of days. I like that it has Leica lens and Optical Image Stabilization.
    • Casio Exilim: I really like the size of the Exilim EX-Z60BK
    • Canon Digital Elph SD600/SD700IS: The 700IS has image stabilization as well.