Recommend me a decent router PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iTone, Jul 9, 2008.

1. iTone macrumors member

iTone

I am on my second Belkin router and i've had it. First the security wouldn't work, then on the second one i would get "address not found" constantly. :mad:

Please recommend me a router that works well with my MacBook and my sisters Dell Vista desktop.

Thanks,
    Off to return this Belkin brick.

2. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

3. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

I would go with Airport Extreme.
    And then get an airport express for airtunes. :p

4. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

Netgear with the Gigabit Ethernet and 80211.N

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Airport Extreme Base Station:
    Wireless-N
    Gigabit Ethernet ports
    very stable
    Has WPA2

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I had good experience with Linksys routers, and great experiences with AirPort routers. The "good" and "great" correspond to their cost, as well :)

7. iTone thread starter macrumors member

iTone

Thanks everyone. I'll give Linksys a try as i don't think i can toss out too much green for that AirPort.

But i have another question. My sisters desktop has a Belkin USB adapter to receive the wifi signal and i am wondering, will that adapter pick up a Linksys signal?

8. brvheart macrumors 6502

it is the protocol that it relies on not brand -

802.11X (this could be a,b,g or n)

if the router is 802.11b and the card that she has is 802.11b or 802.11g then it will work...do you see what I am saying?

9. iTone thread starter macrumors member

iTone

10. brvheart macrumors 6502

11. PcEhAoCsE macrumors newbie

I know everyone already said Linksys, so I can't really through that much new info out there, but my friends all use the Linksys WRT54G, and I bought a Linksys WRT110. The 54Gs work well, and I have yet to set up the 110 but I read some good reviews on the machine. Should run you <$100.

12. brvheart macrumors 6502

linksys is owned by cisco, but I would go for a 802.11n (that will rub b and g also)

13. Daringescape macrumors regular

Thats funny,

I have a Belkin Pre-N Router that I have never had problems with (I have connected a ton of computers to it). I also just set up a D-link router for a friend today that was very easy.

14. mediaguru macrumors regular

One thing to keep in mind is that the Airgo "Pre-N" interface that the Belkin Pre-N router uses is NOT the same as the "Draft-N" used in modern Macs (or in later Belkin "N" routers, for that matter). The maximum connection speed using that router with the Airport adapters is 802.11G speed.

I too used this router for a while, though I noticed some strange latency issues when using real-time video, etc.

15. weckart macrumors 68040

My tuppence worth:

2 Netgear N routers, the box-type. Both ok whilst they worked, both died within 6 months, dropping connections for hours before they expired.

Replaced with Belkin N router (not the pre-N nor N1) with 2 aeriels. This worked fine for a couple of weeks, now none of my Macs will keep a connection for more than a minute. Looking at the reviews on Amazon, this appears to be a common problem due to cheap electronics and crappy firmware on the Belkin.

Airport Extreme BS would not set up properly - I have to accommodate a Windows user who wants to reserve a DNS address via ethernet and the AEBS could not distribute any DNS addresses over wireless after that. No idea why. Would be fine for a simple setup, I suppose.

I am currently running my trusty old Airport Express from a switch attached to the Belkin. This works until I can replace the Belkin with something better.