Recommend me a good NAS system

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thefunkymunky, Jun 23, 2009.

1. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Hey,

I need some advice on good NAS system to stick on my home network. Now this can be bundled with drives or without. I'm inclined to go without drives since more often than not its cheaper to supply your own drives, but anyway, here are some requirements.

At least 2 drive bays
    OSX/Windows compatible
    Time Machine compatible
    Built-in DLNA certified media server (compatible with Mac/PC and PS3)
    Built-in iTunes server
    Bittorrent client support
    Gigabit ethernet port
    External USB ports and ideally FW800 port as well
    Aesthetically pleasing (not a must but I'd like something that looks good - I am a Mac user after all :p )

No budget per-se - just want your recommendations. What do other people here use?

Cheers guys. :D

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Look at the Thecus line....I use an N2100...had it for over two years now and has worked great.

3. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

I don't think it will meet the entire list (I have no idea about DNLA) but I'm happy with ReadyNAS products from Netgear. They have 2, 4 and 6 drive models.
    www.readynas.com

4. milk242 macrumors 6502a

5. lostime macrumors regular

I would get a drobo if price wasn't a factor, but hooking a 2 bay drive via firewire 800 to a mini is in the same price range.

6. joro macrumors 68020

joro

Maxtor’s Central Axis has been a great NAS for me, I use it to stream media to my home for music and movies as well as act as a repository for all my computers in the house for iTunes libraries. Depending on the amount of data you are looking at storing through you might need to look into something that can be attached for faster data transfers – I have a lacie Firewire 800 drive I use this for.

7. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

8. cube macrumors G5

I think the only ones supporting Spotlight would be Time Capsule (not made to be open), or Airport Extreme (very slow).

I was looking at this at it seems the best would be a cheap PowerMac G5.

9. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I would hook externals to a computer like a Mac Mini instead. This offers the features you want and isn't slowed down by crap NAS hardware.
    All NAS devices are slowed down by the internal hardware, not the network connection. Most can't even use the bandwidth of a 100mb/s connection even with multiple drives.
    If you want high speed, look into iSCSI storage or the more expensive fibre channel offered by Apple. Without these options, the fastest non-internal drive is a local Firewire 800 connection.

10. thefunkymunky thread starter macrumors 65816

I been looking at the Netgear ReadyNAS particularly the Duo range however some reviews say the they're slow while others think they're great.

I can pick up a ReadyNAS Duo with a free 500GB (which I'd just wack on eBay) and buy two 1TB drives for around £250.

On eBay someone is selling a diskless 4-bay ReadyNAS NV+ for around £150.

Anyone got experience of these? Th range seem to have everything included I want.:confused:

11. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Bzzzzt...WRONG!....but thanks for playing. It IS the network that slows down most NAS boxes...that's why most now have 1Gb/s interfaces, however most home network routers and switches (and older computers) only support 100mb/s

12. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

13. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

The older ReadyNAS products all use a custom processor and run slower than newer models that use Intel processors.

Older IT1004 Network Storage Processor:
    ReadyNAS 600 (4 bay)
    ReadyNAS X6 (4 bay)
    ReadyNAS 1100 (4 bay rack mount)
    ReadyNAS NV (4 bay)
    ReadyNAS NV+ (4 bay)
    ReadyNAS Duo (2 bay)

Newer Intel processors:
    ReadyNAS NVX (4 bay)
    ReadyNAS Pro (6 bay, comes in Business or Pioneer editions)
    ReadyNAS 2100 (4 bay rack mount)
    ReadyNAS 3200 (12 bay rack mount)

Any of them should work fine for streaming media and file storage. I use mine (a 600 and an NV+) mostly for storing photos and they are plenty fast since I don't work directly off the NAS. They also stream movies just fine with no stuttering over a gigabit network.

If you are going to have a bunch of users simultaneously working with large files you would definitely want one of the Intel models.

14. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

No NAS will work with TimeMachine on its own. I don't even remember what I had to do, but it was something in Terminal to get it to mount on my desktop, then I had to get TimeMachine to recognize it.

Oh, and everytime your Mac disconnects from the network (Sleep mode, power off, whatever) you'll have to re-mount from Finder.

15. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

I haven't tried this personally (I have separate drives specifically for Time Machine) but it looks fairly straightforward.

http://www.readynas.com/?p=1097

16. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

The latest firmware for the ReadyNAS line allows easy setup for the Time Machine space.

17. thefunkymunky thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, thanks guys. I've picked up a ReadyNAS Duo and 2 x 1TB drives. I plan on upgrading the RAM on this to 1GB at some point though. Hopefully it will do everything I want.:p

18. spoofboy macrumors newbie

please keep us updated on how it goes. planning to pick up a new macbook in the next week or so. i have a readynas duo but was contemplating picking up a time capsule. would be interested to know your experience with the duo.