Recommend me a good OSX/Windows Router

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jodders, Nov 1, 2007.

1. jodders macrumors member

Hi guys,

Just purchased a 24imac and well happy with it apart from i got surf the internet wirelessly at all! My old router apparently isn't compatible which im not very happy with,so it looks like I may have to purchase a new router.

Can anyone recommend a good one?

J

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

What is your old router? I don't see why it wouldn't be compatible.

3. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Routers are network devices which adhere to a common protocol (TCP/IP). It really makes them operating system agnostic. Unless it's really ancient, I bet there's a way to get your current router working with your Mac. Now you might want to still buy a new one for a higher speed rating (g vs b or n vs g, etc), but if you tell us what your old router is we might be able to be more help.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The Airport Extreme Basestation series are the nicest routers I've ever used (there are some reported quality issues with the Airport Express, but I've never heard this reported about the Extreme series). I have the -G one, not the -N one, though.

Anyway, that's certainly an excellent choice, and well worth it if you'll use the extra features it has (serving a disk over the network and/or serving a printer) and if you have 802.11n devices.

But as the others said above, there's really no reason your existing router should not work.

5. jodders thread starter macrumors member

Hi guys,

Sorry about posting in the other thread, :( Just realised that i have!

Im from the UK and have the BT Voyager 2000. I have trailed google and even emailed BT who provided this to me. I think its roughly about 3/4 years old. I havent had much of problem using Windows XP at all.

My imac can see the router,vua my iMac wireless card but,there is no signal at all. I have taken the security off just to make it simpler to connect. When I double click, nothing happens at all. argh!

I hope you guys can help :)

Jod