Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
I'm getting real tired of this. It seems like every hard drive these days ship with those horrible flat USB 3 micro B cables. It looks like the result of Jeff Goldblum merged with teleporter fragments. It's ugly. But worse than that, it's the most horrible and insecure connector there is. The connection is always very loose and when you even so much as touch it, the drive disconnects from your Mac.

I can't be the only one with this issue? It has to be the most awkward and brainless industrial design on the planet.

And it's not just one drive. I have 5 drives (4x WD and 1x Seagate) hooked to my Mac Mini, plus a USB 3 Hub that also works with this deformity. And all 6 devices exhibit the same issue. I have to make sure that absolutely nothing touches the wires at all or they loose their connection. This is mostly an issue when I plug something into the Hub or directly into my Mac, because you always fiddle with the cables one way or another.

So that begs the question: are all cables like this? Are there any quality/premium cables that secure better? Price is not an issue. I just want this nightmare to be over. USA-only brands is also not an issue since I'm visiting the States in a couple of weeks.

USB3-MAMB.jpg

It's this birth defect, for those of you who don't know what I mean.

Reactions: LiveM

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
I've never had a problem with the cables that come with my my drives. I agree that the design sucks.

For micro USB 2.0 I find Sony has the best, most snug cables with look and feel superior to anything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.