Recommend me a high grade anti-virus/anti-trojan/anti-spyware program.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by east85, Feb 23, 2012.

1. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I know that Macs are good with being secure, but I just had my account information for a debit card exploited and I want to make sure it isn't on my end. I always operate with common sense. I had around $100 stolen from me and refunded to some account and the only way this information could have been exploited to the extent that it was is if it was while on the computer.

2. simsaladimbamba

ClamXav could help?

There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.
    Also know, that the term "virus" is often used to refer to other kinds of malware, but there are differences, which you can find out by reading the following:

Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios

Does anyone else have access to your computer?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many ways your financial information can be acquired and exploited, even if you never owned a computer. There is no Mac OS X malware in the wild that has a payload that does what you described.

You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep your Mac malware-free. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Boy. this comes up so often...you must get sick of posting it. As GGJ has posted, and as an addendum, many sites collect (harvest) information...No anti-virus for Mac is going to prevent that....I have run my network using sensible practice for years now without any problems at all.

5. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

They're not immune to Malware? Well is there something that will check for Malware? I've seen you copy and paste this many times, and I do doubt it's on my end but I just want to make sure I'm doing everything possible to be safe. I surf safe, run noscript and force HTTPS everywhere, adblock and all that. I am thinking that it might have been exploited on another end, but I am convinced it was exploited during an online transaction due just how much information was detailed on the order about me. There's no way the kind of information they knew would have been acquired over the counter.

6. simsaladimbamba

I have given you two links, one to a scanning software, one to the guide including more links to scanning software.

7. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Thank you, somehow I missed that first post. I'm going to check those out right now. Also nobody has any access to my computer aside from me, I also password it.

8. GGJstudios, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The only way you have malware on your Mac is if you actively installed it yourself. If you read the link I posted, it includes recommendations about antivirus apps, although you don't need any. If you haven't installed pirated software or software from an untrusted site and you haven't given someone else access to your Mac to install anything, you have no malware on your Mac. Also, your Mac hasn't been hacked. You should change your passwords to any online accounts and email accounts, as those are far more likely to be compromised than your Mac.

1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall
    2. Uncheck "Enable Java" in Safari > Preferences > Security.
    3. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General
    4. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.
    5. Never let someone else have physical access to install anything on your Mac.
    That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any virus, trojan, spyware, keylogger, or other malware. You don't need any 3rd party software to keep your Mac secure.

9. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Thanks for all the support and help. Just to be safe I did a fresh install of Lion, downloading the updates now. I'll go ahead and follow these instructions and remain worry free.