Recommend me a keyboard?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by charpi, Mar 9, 2012.

1. charpi macrumors regular

Hi, first of all, can't believe I'm actually getting an iPad. I was one of the "it's just an oversized iPod Touch" person from day one. Shows how much the iPad has come since then.

I'm looking for a keyboard with some particular constraints.

1. Be a case as well. With a stand to hold the iPad upright when I'm typing.
    2. Sufficiently functional. To be specific, copy, paste, easy app switching should work.
    3*. Most importantly, it must make the iPad easy to be detachable from it. I'm going to elaborate on this, since to me it is important. I'm going to be probably putting my iPad with the case inside an "open" compartment of my bag so it can be easily reached and I would like to access it "on the go" in a sense that I can just take out the iPad without the clunky keyboard when I want to use it to check mails and such. Best case is that I can detach it just by touch without looking.

But of course when I want to do some serious work I can take the iPad with the keyboard case out.

I was thinking of something like this.

http://ipadappcafe.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Leather-iPad-Vertical-Flip-Case-Blue.jpg

without the closing cover

where I can just take out the iPad from the top if I want to.

4. Preferably the keyboard case can be used to store small items such as the iPad camera connection kit...

5. Also preferably rechargeable via USB

Any thing like that in the market now?

Thanks for all your advises in advance

:)

2. seajay96 macrumors 6502

I'm sure there are cases like you ask for on the market. However, I've always found the keyboards that are the same width as the iPad are too narrow for serious typing.

For me, I use any iPad case I want but carry my Apple BT Keyboard in an Incase Origami case that folds out to hold the iPad at the optimum angle for typing.

This way, I get an exceptional keyboard that is very light and doesn't need to be recharged (the AA batteries last forever in this keyboard). And, when I need to use just the iPad, it's still protected in its own case.

http://www.amazon.com/Incase-Origami-Workstation-iPad-Black/dp/B004X355Y6/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

EDIT: Oh, and I can type on the iPad in either portrait or landscape.

3. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

how about the iPad accessories forum? I think that place might already have threads on this very topic.

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

I agree with seajay96's post. The Apple keyboard is a work of art and durable (I've had mine three or four years now, and it has gone all over the world with me).

The Incase Origami is incredibly inexpensive, yet brilliant, in that it is both a case for the keyboard and a stand without adding much bulk or weight. Plus, it is inexpensive :)

5. richlee111 macrumors regular

+1

I tried the Zagg, the Logitech(pretty much the same as the Zagg), and another keyboard w/ case storage setups. IMO, they work, but the keyboards suck. The Apple bluetooth keyboard is still the best to me for its typing feel.

Also, the Incase Origami is only about $30. Factor in $70 for the Apple bluetooth and you're talking about $100. All the ones i mentioned above start at $100, so its about the same.

Lastly, u mentioned that you want to just use the iPad sometimes without taking out the keyboard. Well, the Origami is the perfect setup for this since the origami case just stores the keyboard and the iPad is stored seperately. When the Origami is used w/ the iPad, it just props up the iPad. As for the iPad, I store seperately with a sleeve. I happen to be using the Booq Boa sleeve(http://www.amazon.com/Booq-Skin-Neoprene-Sleeve-Black/dp/B003G40KWA)

6. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

I am wondering about this as well. I already have an Apple BT keyboard, but I hate the idea of carrying two devices and having to set it up every time. It kind of defeats the portability of an iPad.

I am really looking at this http://adonit.net/product/writer2-plus/ but its hard finding reviews and even harder to test it in person.

7. pekoe1111, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

pekoe1111 macrumors newbie

Keyboard for New iPad

It is coming Friday!

Because I use my iPad (I had a 16GB WIFI) primarily as a tablet without a keyboard, I want a case/keyboard that can be folded completely backwards like the Belkin Folio Keyboard (but isn't 1.25" thick!).

The Adonit 2 Plus Keyboard Folio is perfect -- except I do not believe it can be folded completely backwards. Taking the iPad out of the frame for use 80% of the time is a pain! A shame because it is the thinnest, best keyboard folio I have seen.

Clamcase: Folds completely backwards, but to big and heavy.

Logitech Folding Keyboard: Another excellent option that leaves the keyboard hidden, but it is also thick.

Belkin Keyboard Folio: Also what I want, but thick as well.

Any other options? I don't want the Zagg/Logitech tray keyboard because it is a second thing to put somewhere when I'm not using it..

Thanks!
    (tick, tick, tick....)

BB

8. cwosigns macrumors 65832

cwosigns

I second this. I was unsure of the origami case, but I love it. It's sturdy. The batteries for the keyboard last FOREVER and the tactile feel of the keyboard is great. I use a leather smart cover, and carry the origami in my bag. It's perfect for note-taking at training conferences.

9. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

The Adonit 2 Plus Keyboard Folio is NOT perfect for me. One mail reason is that the right shift key (together with the arrow keys) is so badly located, and enhances to a high degree the risk of mistyping: For instance hitting the arrow up key when you intend to hit the right arrow key. At least in the respect - and it's a vital issue for many writers - the ZAGGfolio is much better, as are also the original Apple keyboards, both the BT one and the ones for the Airs.

I cannot simply understand why the keyboard designers make such a bad layout - it seems that they have no knowledge regarding basic ergonomy and man/machine-interface.

10. pekoe1111 macrumors newbie

Does Adonit Fold All the Way Back?

Does it fold 360 deg. back so you can use the IPad as a tablet?

11. Rufus28 macrumors newbie

+1

12. jateelover macrumors member

I have been searching high and low for something like this. Can't find it....seems to me to be simple, have a keyboard with a hinge that attaches to the iPad. Let it stay folded onto the back of the iPad for normal use, then when you need it have it rotate on the hinge to the front...pretty much the same idea as clam case, but just the keyboard and not super heavy or thick