Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Let me preface this with this: I am not a linux user.

What I would like to have is a Linux LiveCD with the following

GUI
memtest
NTFS writing support

I have used Knoppix LiveCD before but it fell down on the NTFS writing.

So do you know of a linux distro that has all 3 of these natively, (or tell me how to get it on knoppix (natively) in case I missed it).

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
knoppix should support NTFS writing long time ago, let me check about details...

martychang

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
Let me preface this with this: I am not a linux user.

What I would like to have is a Linux LiveCD with the following

GUI
memtest
NTFS writing support

I have used Knoppix LiveCD before but it fell down on the NTFS writing.

So do you know of a linux distro that has all 3 of these natively, (or tell me how to get it on knoppix (natively) in case I missed it).

Not 100% on memtest, but I'm pretty sure that Ubuntu actually qualifies. I remember memtest anyway, and I know it's a live CD with a GUI and NTFS write :p

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
knoppix should support NTFS writing long time ago, let me check about details...

I quite like knoppix from what I have seen from playing with it so would like it if it is included but again Linux newbie, so may need pointing in the right direction:eek:

Not 100% on memtest, but I'm pretty sure that Ubuntu actually qualifies. I remember memtest anyway, and I know it's a live CD with a GUI and NTFS write :p

On the download now so will see how it goes.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Ubuntu.

Not sure if it does NTFS write. Last I heard, NTFS write support in Linux was very experimental and shouldn't be used on any hard drive with important data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.