Recommend me a MP3 Tagger

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jkundi, May 1, 2014.

1. jkundi macrumors member

Hi just moved over from pc and would like some recommendations for mp3 tagging apps (paid or free). I have many mp3s that I would like to organise but not via iTunes as I would like to keep that library separate (as its organised already).

On the PC I used The Godfather which was a free tagging tool.

I came across The Tagger for Mac but what else is out there?

Thanks.

2. mic j macrumors 68030

I use Tagger.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may not be aware that you can use iTunes and keep your library organization intact. If you don't want iTunes to copy or manage the files, in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced uncheck these boxes:
    [​IMG]
    iTunes is very efficient in tagging, and many tagging operations can be automated by using scripts. Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes is a great resource for managing your iTunes tags and files. Here are a few scripts that I've found particularly useful:

4. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

Media Rage is my workhorse of choice (though maybe because I use it for like 10 years)

5. jkundi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks my iTunes library is organised with the options suggested. I have older mp3s that I'd like to clean without inserting them into my iTunes. Anyone else have other recommendations.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I understand you not wanting the older MP3s to be in your iTunes library, but you can create another library long enough to clean those up. Once you finish tagging those older MP3s, you can delete the iTunes library you created for it. It's quite simple to do.

7. jkundi thread starter macrumors member

Ahh your right I could do that fairly easily considering I host my iTunes library on a external hd. Thanks for sparking the thought. :cool:

8. ijabz macrumors newbie

ijabz

But once you have fixed these new songs don't you want them to end up in the same place, or do you want to keep them separate even for playback ?

There are plenty of Mac tools for tagging your mp3s and renaming your mp3s (just not as many as for PC) and there are also alternatives to iTunes for playing music back such as Plex.

9. campyguy macrumors 68030

Neither of these are free but they have been effective for me:

TuneUp - http://www.tuneupmedia.com

Songgenie - http://www.equinux.com/us/products/songgenie/index.html

I like TuneUp since the service creates playlists for you automatically - including a playlist with the music it didn't identify. Both services have free trials. I've used the services to tag music that I've downloaded from the massive SXSW archives and monthly Mercedes-Benz new artist offerings.