Recommend me a new mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CDailey, Aug 17, 2007.

1. CDailey macrumors regular

Well, my trusty old Logitech two button optical scroll mouse is finally starting to die and I needs me a new pointing device. Can anyone recommend me a good mouse? I really like the Logitech MX Revolution, but I really don't want to spend $90-100 on a mouse...

2. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) T-Mobile Dash)

I personally really like the wireless mighty mouse, scrolls well and its comfortable in my hand. Or have you already dismissed the MM?

3. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I too like the MM, although those expensive logitech ones are really nice

4. CDailey thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I really don't like the Mighty Mouse. It may have just been the demo mice I've used in various CompUSA's and Apple stores, but I just didn't like them. :(

5. Angrist macrumors 6502

Kensington Optical Elite ~$17-20
    Five button w/ scroll wheel.

I've had three of them and will be ordering two more shortly (One for each machine). They're very comfortable in either hand (symmetric), reliable, and have good software.

Edit: I've had one for 6 years with no problems, and another lasted 3 years before getting run over by a car, needless to say it didn't like that too much.

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i have a logitech mx revolution myself, and i love it. it has its quirks, but it's a solid mouse overall. i've read some favorable things about the logitech mx518 in these forums; this particular post comes to mind.

7. Bunsen macrumors member

I must say the MX Revolution paired with USB overdrive is an unbeatable pair! The Revolution is worth the price IMHO, I use Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, After Effects, and Illustrator aLOT, and I need a solid mouse with lots of buttons. The bundled software is junk though, I use USB overdrive so I can map every button AND the scroll wheel differently for each app. I've gotten so used to the increased efficiency, that I get bogged down when I have to work on someone elses computer.:eek:

8. CDailey thread starter macrumors regular

I'm leaning towards the Logitech VX Revolution. Practicly the same thing as the MX, but $30 cheaper. It doesn't say it's Mac compatible on the Logitech website, but I'm assuming thats referring to mapping the extra buttons. I mean, theres no reason it shouldn't work since it's usb, right?

9. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Revo...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1187403012&sr=8-1

If you really like the MX Rev, you can pick it up at Amazon for $75 and pay no shipping if you select the super saving shipping method.

Looks like there's actually a $20 rebate there too bringing it down to $55.

10. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i had a vx revolution, and they're most definitely compatible with mac os x. just use the logitech control center software, and you'll be fine.

11. CDailey thread starter macrumors regular

Sweet! Thank you very much :) I just might buy this now. Recommendations are still welcomed though. Any other good mice worth buying for light Photoshop and gaming use?

12. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I have a Logitech VX Revolution and its the best mouse I've ever used, I would not hesitate to recommend it. Also you can get the VX Revolution for under $50 here and here. And it is very Mac Compatible, I use it with steermouse and it works great, steermouse is a lot better than the Logitech Control Center.

13. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I have a cheepo Logitech S530 Wireless Keyboard/Mouse combination. I do not know what possessed me to buy it. I usually dislike their products (ever since the old 'bus mouse' days). But, I really like this product(s). I bought half a dozen 'mouse only' units and my users liked them very much. A strange thing happened. Several users had MS mouse failures soon thereafter.

The S530 kit sells for $79.00 at Frys. The standalone mouse is $29.00. They were a little higher at CDW and MacMall. Mac/PCConnection were ~25% higher. And so it goes. I have recently bought the Revolution mouse. It has a fantastic feel in the hand. Unfortunately, I have not been able to use it much yet.

14. CDailey thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I went ahead and ordered the MX Revolution from Amazon. Thanks for the input everyone, it is very much appreciated! :)