Recommend me a Notebook - situation explained inside

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fstfrwrd, Aug 9, 2008.

1. fstfrwrd macrumors regular

Alright, the situation is:

I study architecture and I need my notebook with me everyday at school, so portability is quite a big deal. But because architectural design programs (AutoCAD, Revit etc ...) are quite intense, I feel I would have made to many compromises if I bought an MBA.

My current machine is already sold to someone. The deal is I keep it until I get my new one. (the buyer is a close friend so it's all good)

Current machine:
    MacBook (white) 2.0 Ghz - 1GB RAM - 60GB HD (about 2 years old)

I run apps like SketchUp just fine on my current machine, but next year we're dealing with some more intense apps like stated above.

Will a MBA be too 'light' for my needs? (1.8GHz, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD)
    Do you recommend a MBP?

My mind was made up (MBP) until I saw that delicious MBA in the Apple store again yesterday, so please help me out here.

Thanks in advance

2. atluten macrumors 6502

Based on what you're stated I would say that a MBP would be better suited to your needs. You said that the design programs are pretty intense and it seems that your MacBook isn't well suited to using those programs. The MBA has the same integrated graphics as the Bacbook and is a bit slower in terms of CPU speed, so it may end up running a little slower than what you're seeing now with the MacBook. The MBP is much more powerful in terms of graphics and with a faster CPU, so I would say it would be a better fit for you. Cheers.

3. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Go with a macbook pro, though I'd think that a high-end configuration macbook may work just fine, if a dedicated graphics chip isn't a must for you. I'd still veer torwards pro though, in your situation.

The air is definitely too underpowered for your needs.

4. fstfrwrd thread starter macrumors regular

Mind is made up then

Alright then, let the waiting for the new MBP's continue ... :)

5. doctoree macrumors 6502

I'd get a nice 15inch MBP. You can hook it up to a large display so you have portability and power in one machine. A Macbook is no solutions because of the lack of a GPU.
    Doc

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd suggest a MBP; the 15 inch screen model gives an impressive combination of an excellent screen (appropriate for your needs), and and a degree of portability (very desirable) which the larger 17 inch model might lack. It also has considerable speed, a great memory, and a lot of power. In any case, I'm a recent switcher and treated myself to the 15 inch MBP in April. It's a beautiful machine and I'm very happy with it.
    Cheers and good luck.
    :apple: MBP 15.4", 2.4 ghz, 2 GB RAM, 160 HDD
    :apple: iPod classic black 30 GB

7. Babaknt macrumors newbie

Do you use 3ds max? A MBP is very powerful, just make shure your programs are for mac, unless you wanna run bootcamp.

8. jroller macrumors regular

The advice you have gotten here it correct. Get a MBPro and wait for the update. I would not recommend the Air for your requirements.