Recommend Me A Notebook!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by starnosed, Nov 21, 2010.

1. starnosed macrumors newbie

Hi am plan to buy a new laptop. I am love with the screen of macbook pro and it surface finish. I will ask to you guys, does the hardware of the mac pay the cost?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Probably, but what are your computational needs?

3. starnosed thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

hi, well i dont play i do programing in python, c++ and i need to use matlab because i studing enginerring. The real problem is that i dont see to much hardware feature to be a fast because i want to do things quickly...

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then why do you think about getting a Mac, if it does not seem to satisfy your need for specs?

In my eyes, and as it seems in the eyes of many Mac users, specs are not the most important factor when looking to purchase a computer. As Mac OS X is designed to be less in the way of the user (though it allows full control via many means) and has quite a good GUI (not as clown coloured as Windows 5,1 and up, thus not that distracting), it actually saves time in navigating the OS and handling multiple documents/applications at once.

When I switched to Mac OS X I used a Samsung notebook (X30 or so, 1.4GHz, 64MB GPU, 512MB RAM, Windows 2000) and a full blown Windows PC (2GHz CPU, 128MB professional GPU 3D labs VP870, 1.5GB RAM, ...) I bought a 1GHz G4 iBook with 32MB GPU and 768MB RAM and solely used it from that time, I even sold my PC (the notebook was sold before the iBook), though I missed the GPU. I was faster with the lower specced iBook than I was with the PC and I used CPU and GPU intensive applications like Avid Xpress DV and PhotoShop.

Nowadays I have the feeling, it takes much longer to perform a simple task on Windows, than it would do on Mac OS X, though that is due to six years of 0.01% use of Windows during that time.

Anyway, you can use Mac OS X to program in C++, Python and even work with MatLab, and the MBPs are powerful enough to take almost full advantage of them (if heavy CPU processing is needed for most of the time).
    Be sure to get the High Res version of the 15" MBP, as it allows you more screen real estate, though the 13" MBP will do just fine too.

MRoogle is a good tool to search these fora for already existing threads about questions you have. It might be able to answer you quicker than waiting for an answer.

5. starnosed thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

thanks, dont misunderstand that is the reason that i am asking. I never have mac but i like the screen and how it look. That why asking here because i want the opinion of people that have and know of the mac area. Anyway thanks and will continuous reading of tech spec and comparisons. :D