Recommend me a rugged portable speaker with great sound

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by threezero, May 20, 2015.

1. threezero macrumors 6502

I'm an audio technician by trade and I'm very picky about spending money on audio stuff, most of the portable speaker I have tried out before doesn't impress me but that was years ago when I first got into iPhones with the 3G. I think I am finally ready to get one for around the house, shower, pool parties and gathering with friends etc.

Looking for something rugged but not too big, have good clarity decent but not muddy bass. Must be able to connect both by aux and Bluetooth with long battery life. I tried out the jbl charge in store and quite enjoy it compare to say the beats pill. However it doesn't look very rugged or remotely water resistant. I do however like how small it in relation to its sound output. Any body can recommend me other speakers in the same or similar form factor that is even better? My budget is $300 and under. Help me guys!!!

2. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I have the JBL flip and it's pretty rugged. Someone knocked it off my table twice and it only got a small dent. So I would think the JBL Charge would fair better since it has a rubber around it.

As for waterproof, not really sure. Besides if your speaker get wet, wouldn't your iPhone get wet too? Oh maybe you have a case around the iPhone? JBL Charge is splash proof. I would go with that. I use my JBL flip a lot. I did compare it to the Charge 2+ in store after my purchase. The Charge is a bit louder and has more bass which I'm sure will be loud enough for your parties and such.

Others that I've compared and listened to in homes..Jambox is loud but compresses the music too much for my taste. Quick in paring. Pill had heavy bass.

Go with the JBL Charge

3. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty happy with my Logitech UE Boom.

Granted I don't really test its water resistance.

4. threezero thread starter macrumors 6502

Tested both the boom and the Bose. Both sucked compare to the jbl charge.... Any other suggestion?

5. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

Have you tried the Braven BRV-HD? It is waterproof and pretty rugged. I have not had the opportunity to hear one though. It might be worth checking out.

6. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

7. DMCG1 macrumors newbie

I personally like the Bose Soundlink mini. I used it at my workplace when our sound system broke, and all the customers complimented how loud and clear the music was for once. It's not waterproof. Battery-life can be short so I keep it on the charging dock all day. Initial Bluetooth connection is sometimes spotty, but I've never had it disconnect after it connected.