Recommend me a sport to play

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AngryApple, Oct 29, 2009.

1. AngryApple macrumors 6502

I've never played a sport or any organized physical activity. I don't exercise at all but I'm afraid my stick-thin body will...you know...gradually get overweight. I'm 5'8" and 112 pounds. Don't get me wrong, I want a sport that I will like but will also keep me active.

Track team is coming up for the season. I don't have any experience with track . If I were to join, what should I expect? If it isn't anything massively extreme I'll go ahead get back to running to save me the embarassment of being the worst.

I'm open to any other suggestions that wouldn't require much experience. Not something like cheerleading where everyone has been doing since 3rd grade...

Thanks.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

as youve never played a sport, i wont reccomend bball, ftball, soccer, etc unless you really have a desire

If i were you, id pick up cross country, swimming, mtn biking, biking, snowboarding, maybe even tennis

jw, how old are you?

3. JavierP macrumors regular

Go swimming, I swim 6 km a week and I feel great afterwards. If you are a man you can gain 40 pounds and you would still be thin.

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

isn't this in the wrong forum?

anyways, track would be good for you. if you haven't done any running at all, then you'll probably get stuck in either the mile or 2-mile (if you're in high school) or whatever the longer distances are (college gets up to 10k on the track).

all you can do is just see which events you might be good at. the coaches will help you out

5. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Join the golf team, depending on how good your team is. If they aren't very good (and from experience most high school teams aren't too good) you'll have no problem making the team. You'll get to play golf free, you'll learn a sport that can come in handy if you enter the business world, and you'll probably have a lot of fun. If you don't want to buy much equipment, however, it is probably not for you. You'll have to spend at least a few hundred dollars to get start and if you find you really enjoy golf you'll probably become addicted to purchasing new, "better" equipment. As an added bonus, if you're a girl and you get pretty good at golf, you'll probably have no problem getting a college scholarship to play.

If you're not interest in golf, I'd recommend track, swimming, or tennis.

6. Nuck81 macrumors regular

Lacrosse, Golf, Drum corps/Marching band if you have any musical ability...

7. adk macrumors 68000

adk

While not high school sports, racquetball and/or squash are sports you can play for a lifetime - and have a blast doing it.

8. carlgo macrumors 68000

9. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

How old are you? Hard to "recommend a sport" unless you have some interest in it... so too... you really have to have interest in a sport before you compete; not like you can show up on field and participate without such interest and enthusiasm. Otherwise, you might want to investigate Varsity Underwater Basket Weaving or some such...

Field sports - soccer, football, tennis, and track;
    Indoor sports - hockey, racquetball, basketball; and
    Outdoor sports - skiing, mtn climbing, fishing, hunting, etc.

There are also other sports that I didn't cite (perhaps less athletic) but they all require -- they all require -- commitment, interest, and enthusiasm. Achieve those then pick an activity in which to express it.

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

11. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Tai Chi.

But if you're really into running around like a chicken with your head cut off, soccer or volleyball are very fun. Soccer because it's just awesome and volleyball because you never know what you'll have to play with some hot chicks on the beach.

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

13. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Hmm stick thin and not really athletic, but not exactly unhealthy either.... therefore I suggest joining an Ultimate Frisbee recreational team. It's a perfect gateway sport, moderate exercise and a no contact. :)

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

15. Maccin475 macrumors member

5'8'' and 112 pounds? Dude how about putting on some weight first. Contact sports might not be up your alley, so i'd definitely avoid football or even basketball. Soccer and Baseball can be fun but it'll take you a while to develop any real skills (I'm assuming you want to be good at a sport). OR, how about just working out?

16. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I think you should stay away from team sports as if you have never done any before then your skill level will be much lower than your peers.

I would suggest a solitary sport where you can monitor your own performance.

Cross country/Long Distance running is always good to do as everyone has trainers and you can do it whenever you want.

Plan your route and possibly try and set yourself a target. Take your phone/watch/iPod whatever and find how fast you did it.

Then try and beat it. You will be amazed at how quickly you can get better if you stick to running maybe 3 times a week.

Myself I am a swimmer and swimming 4 times a week I find really satisfying. It has certainly got me in good shape and I am as strong as many of the guys in the rugby team without needing the coordination!

However, whatever sport or activity you pick you have to persevere and stick with it! You aren't going to become mega-fit overnight so maybe ask a friend to join you on a run as a weekly thing so that you have some incentive to do it and push yourself!

17. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

so do I the cheer leading comment smells of a female, on that try tai chi as our one friend suggests.

18. AngryApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys. I'm going to get back into running now. First; I'll do the treadmill and get my time back to the way it was when I used to run regularly. Then; I'll attempt to run outside. The main reason I don't want to run outside is that there is waaaaay too much possibility for unwanted attention. I may do swimming in the spring if it works out. The only problem is, my legs are severely mutilated. I can't imagine being in a public place with my legs showing. :O I'll probably just fork out some moolah for a swimsuit that covers my legs. If I were to join a swim team, do they do dives? Maybe I'll be able to find one that is more about racing and stuff.

And, yes, I'm a girl. I'm not into bulking up. More of a stay thin kinda girl. You know, I wish the little bit of fat on my tummy would go to my boobs. :p

Now I'm gonna go look up some toning exercises.

19. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

Why not take up Judo? You get the benefit of the work out; trust me, 5minutes of randori (sparing) feels like a lifetime, in ne-waza (ground work) you'll be using every muscle in your body. You get to wear pants, and you learn a valuble skill - self defense. I make now promises that your thighs won't turn into pillars after a few thousand repetitions of any given hip throw though :p

20. kwk1 macrumors regular

kwk1

21. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

You're a girl. It's good you recognize you're already thin - there are so many women out there who are toothpicks and think they're too fat.

I've been thin all my life, and while I don't go all wild hog on the cakes and donuts up until recently I've never exercised to speak of, and weight has never been a problem. Some people are naturally more prone to stay thin. I applaud your desire to stay skinny, but I don't think you really have to worry about it so long as you watch what you eat (without reason), and don't sit around all day. And being active is just healthier all the way around.

Take up an more aerobic sport, like a martial art or something. Heavy sports like football and soccer we thin people always get picked last and get creamed for it anyway.

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Personally I am a fan of mtn biking. The draw back to it is the entry cost into the sport is around 500 give or take. Reason for this is a good starter bike is a least 400 plus you will need a way to carry water and a helmat. Going cheap with a wallmart bike leads many to quit the sport before they find out if they like it because of the crap bike. If you do like you would want to replace your bike very quickly so you are still out the money.
    If you get the better bike and you hate it you can always sell the bike and be out about the same as if you went with the walmart bike. Net loss is the same either way so might as well go with the choice that gives you the best hope.

I like mtn biking because it is something I can do by myself and it is a good work out. Only problem is I really have gotten in to it since I got my bike and have spent a lot of money on equipment like clothing gloves, roof rack and a 300+ on upgrades to my bike that was 500ish new.

23. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Ice hockey.

I used to coach women's ice hockey, and they always need help in practice. It helps younger women develop their strength and skating so that when they get older they can play in college or in rec. leagues for fun.

No checking, just great exercise. Great for coordination, balance, cardio and then all the positive mental aspects as well.

I was coaching a college women's team last winter. I was goalie coach, so I just focused on one person. But we had 12-18 year olds who came out to practice and get some exercise. They couldn't travel with the team in a player's capacity, but they got to work on the skills in a good atmosphere with a lot of positive role models.

24. AngryApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Now that is a good idea. I might just try that in a few weeks once all the rain goes away. :)

25. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

Climbing? You don't need experience, can exercise together with more experienced people. Your skinny build is an advantage. It can be done indoors and outdoor and will train most of your muscles. You won't get bigger boobs though...