Recommend me a SSD, specific question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Reelknead1, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

So I currently have a 2010 i7 MBP with an Apple 128gb SSD. This drive has been great but unfortunetly I've out grown its capacity. With the current sale on Newegg, I have been looking into the Samsung 840 and 840 pro in a 256gb capacity.

My question is, will I see any advantage going with the pro when my computer only supports SATA II?

2. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Except on burst reads, you're unlikely to saturate even a SATA 3GBPS with either drive.

The main advantage of the Pro is higher-quality NAND chips and a better warranty. Even if you don't see a real world performance difference, you might get a bit more life out of the drive.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You may be interested in the discussion in this thread. Bottom line is with your SATA II interface you won't see a speed difference. While it is true the Pro has NAND chips with a longer life cycle, odds are that computer will off in computer heaven long before either SSD hits the NAND write cycle limit. I would save the cash and get the non-Pro.

4. stchman macrumors 6502a

While you won't see a speed difference, newer SSDs have better nand chips so the life expectancy will be longer.

I would get either a Samsung 840 Pro or an OCZ Vertex 4. OCZ give 5 years on the Vertex 4.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Actually, the opposite is true. Newer NAND chips are supporting fewer write cycles. But even with that, the SSD will ikely last longer than most of us would reasonably expect to use a computer.

6. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

actually you would probably notice a speed difference, the main thing on SSDs is the 4k low queue depth, and those dont saturate sata 2 at all

I would either go for the pro or the m500, since I dont find anywhere that sells the sc3700